Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    4 inch exhaust.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

4 inch exhaust.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I had made the radiator mod and also wanted to try a 4 inch exhaust and new muffler. I did not want to change the exhaust before I could test the results of the first mod so I built up the muffler/tailpipe assembly and put it on the roof. Before I headed back home from Wendover NV, I took off the old muffler and tailpipe and put on the new 4 inch Magnaflow 24 inch muffler and 4 inch tailpipe. I amd going to change the head pipe from the turbo to the muffler to 4 inch (it is 3 inch now) but that will come later.

I noticed very little change in performance although I did notice a slight improvement in fuel mileage and slightly lower EGT readings. To early to tell or confirm as I need more runs to measure. Off line performance is still dismal, but with each change it gets a little better.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Am I correct that the outlet from the existing muffler, the short tail pipe and the tail pipe tip are 3.5" in diameter? I need to replace just the 12" long tip on mine and did a visual measurement with a tape measure and it seems to be that size. I have not pulled it off yet, but maybe you already know the answer.....
I asked a muffler shop guy I know if changing the pipe from the back of the muffler (3.5" to 4" enlarger) to the exhaust tip to 4" would help with dissipating heat and he advised that unless I was going to at least change the muffler also, I would be wasting my time and money. So, I am interested in future updates if your exhaust experiment helped any in dissipating heat from the motor.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi B&K:

On mine the outlet pipe was already 4 inch, but the inlet was only 3 inch!

Changing just the pipe would not reduce any heat into the engine bay.

What I did was to fabricate a plate of metal and attached it to the frame rail so that the air would be channeled straight back (more or less) and keep it from getting into the engine bay, did that a while ago when I changed out the old muffler to a 3 inch straight thru.

I now have a 4 inch straight thru Magnaflow muffler and shortly I will have the 4 inch pipe built from the turbo to the muffler.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Ed,
I like the idea of the heat shield. Anything that will help keep the engine bay cooler is a plus. I have also been following your workmanship with the fans. Could be a winter project for me, as I am trying everything I can to cool the engine down. Since I replaced the water pump last month it seems to be running cooler but I don't have enough trips on it to verify that. I am already going to pull the radiator and have it cleaned and checked next. I already did the fan forced trans cooler.
I did get under the coach and tried to pull off the exhaust tip, which I believe to be original. Needless to say, I couldn't get it off after being in place all these years but did get the clamp off and verified that it is a 3" exhaust. That is good, because my local muffler guy can help me. But, I think a 4" exhaust system would help even more. Another winter project???

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have had a bigger outlet on my muffler as the engine is 230 HP, the inlet is in fact 3 inch. As I mentioned I am going to fab up a 4 inch SS inlet pipe after things quiet down the summer.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater