Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mountain Tamer Brakes
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted
So my Barth came with Decelomatic mountain tamer brakes on it. Problem is I haven't a clue how to even seen if they are working. No owners manual or anything included. I know it turns on and also the gauge will register that it is building pressure. Can anybody give me the basics on this set up. Can't find any info online as the company no longer has a website.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Decelomatic" doesn't sound right, but my '86 (34' w/tag axle) Regal had MOUNTAIN TAMER braking system (installed by 1st owner); a New Mexico Company (Lordsburg?), which was a one-man operation. I phoned him in '88 when I bought the Coach, and he had installed the system immediately after it was purchased by 1st owner.
Each exhaust pipe, just behind the header, had a (3"?) butterfly valve. A chrome arm with an ivory head (clone of a Hurst Shifter!) was mounted on the Coach wall at the Driver's left elbow. Normal (off) position was 12 O'Clock, and moving the knob to maximum 3 O'clock determined the closure of the valve, up to about 75%.
A dash toggle actuated the valve, which -if memory serves- was brake fluid pushing on the valve stem (rotating the stem, at the top of the valve pipe, outside the pipe). It was exhaust braking, and worked very well. I used it often, esp in traffic , using the pivoting arm/knob as an on/off switch.
Maintenance was a B****, keeping the valve stem loose, and every so often (10 days driving) spraying WD-40 all over the butterfly, which required removing a 1/2" pipe plug at the bottom AND top so the plastic extension tube would go inside. This cleaning was part of the mfg.s' instructions.
It worked well for me, esp in mountains, until '96 when I traded the Coach back to Barth.

Posts: 23 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 09-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Delectric was the only company that came up when I did a google search of gas engined jake brakes so I assumed that was it. Now I need to find this toggle switch.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was in DEMING, NM (In 1988)

Posts: 23 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 09-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Yeah this is all I've come up with. Of course I get no answer or message at the number. http://khakain.com/archdeco/va...=8&spec=5743553.html

Picture of Jim_Rockford007
posted Hide Post
Just a note WD-40 is not a penitrant or a lubricant, explains why you had to use so much. Thumbs Up

Posts: 43 | Location: Auburndale,Fla | Member Since: 03-23-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hmmm I bet it work better with a Miller lite!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2055 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I help my dad install a unit like this back in the 80s. The control lever was a marine side mount shifter lever. The position of the lever determined how far the valves closed upon activation of the brake peddle. It did help slow down the coach on long down hill runs. Can't tell about problems as coach was sold about year after installing.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[WD-40 is not a penitrant or a lubricant"

I phrased it poorly. The WD was to clear out the exhaust particulate (aka soot) which would harden & prevent the valve from rotating easily. Hot Soapy water would work also, but might (?) cause rust. But you know that.
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Picture of Jim_Rockford007
posted Hide Post
now you are getting into something closer to its usefulness.

Posts: 43 | Location: Auburndale,Fla | Member Since: 03-23-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
WD-40 is basically fish oil

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post