Tools
Reply To This Topic

Monarch panel upgrade
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
My OEM Spartan/Barth panel leaves much to be desired. The layout of the gauges is poor. I will relocate 4 existing gauges and install 2 more new ones.

This is what I see (or, not) when I am driving.

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Move the steering wheel Tooling Along
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
Move the steering wheel Tooling Along
Nick

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

I wish I could more easily! The height of the seat from the floor is just right for comfort and brake pedal. The height and tilt of the wheel is just right for the seat height and the armrests. It all feels good except where the gauges are.

Fortunately, the panel is just a big sheet of black plastic about 1/4" thick. It will be easy to cut holes where I want. Once I get a good feel for the layout I will eventually make a new 3 piece custom panel.

More holes on the way.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Nick eleven years later and I bet someone is still enjoying the fruits of your labor. Do you have a street sign for Steve??

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Nick that was quite a project. Way above my pay grade.
Phase 1:
I got the 4 existing gauges relocated. Way better. Not too much work. I am still deciding on the two remaining. I could center them close together but I am leaning toward leaving space in the middle for another gauge or warning lights. hmm

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Phase 2:
2 more holes. The boost gauge is in the panel. The new EGT gauge is not here yet. Then I have to pull the harness through from engine forward to the gauges, and cover those top holes. hmm

to be continued: Mechanic

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
looks great Steve!! Do they have those push-in, snap-in hole fillers that will fit?

Here is my latest Nose Upgrade, look at these pretty wheel covers, stainless steel too!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
looks great Steve!! Do they have those push-in, snap-in hole fillers that will fit?

Yessir! Phase 3:
Hole plugs arrived. (I was surprised by the cost. I paid about $6 apiece on Ebay for simple plastic plugs! Most were over $10 each!) I may eventually redo the whole center panel section but I will install the EGT gauge and see how I like the layout on the road.

I ordered the EGT gauge from Speedhut. It should be here soon. The VDO version was about the same price but the Speedhut has adjustable alarm for overtemp conditions. Speedhut allows choice of dial style, color of needle and dial, and design and finish of the bezel. I should be able to get a good match to the VDOs. Also, the Speedhut sensor requires only a 1/8 NPT hole, the VDO needs a 1/4 NPT hole in the exhaust manifold. The 1/8 will be easier to drill and tap.

Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
My speedometer and tach went out on the Foretravel. I replaced with a Speedhut GPS speedometer and Speedhut Tach.
Very happy with both os Speedhuts products and customer service.

Nick

OH, and nice work Steve. Looks good

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
In desperation add tire pressure sensors, outside on duals, then have L.R., L.F., R.F, & R.R.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
In desperation add tire pressure sensors, outside on duals, then have L.R., L.F., R.F, & R.R.

hmm hmm hmm say what Tim? Color me confusedddd!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1380 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Change the nipples, valve stems to pressure transmitting with dedicated receiver in the dash. TPMS

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Change the nipples, valve stems to pressure transmitting with dedicated receiver in the dash. TPMS

Ahhhhhh more monitors! Now I got your train of thought.

I figure whoever laid out the Monarch gauges was 4ft or 7 1/2 ft. Tall/short. head bang I do the stretch and duck to monitor the gauges. Thumbs Down

Another thing added to my list. Steve is oh so good at adding things to my list. ROTFLMAO

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1380 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Phase 4
Got my Speedhut EGT gauge. Power, ground and panel lights are connected. Now I need to run the wires and air line for the boost from the rear engine bay to the gauges. Need to drill and tap a 1/8 NPT hole in the exhaust manifold for the temperature sensor.