Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Round Headlights to Square Headlights
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Round Headlights to Square Headlights
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
Some members have decided to change the front headlights on the pre 80 era Barths. I thought I would post some pictures of the 2 Barths that I know of that have such upgrades.

This is a 1969 Barth

This is a 1979 Barth.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Lipstick & rouge on the Mona Lisa, Fuzzy Dice hanging off a RR Silver Ghost, moon caps, curb feelers & flame decals on a Gull Wing, paint-by-number on the Sistine Chapel....... Wink

Lee, Chairman
Classic Barth Round Headlight Society

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Lipstick & rouge on the Mona Lisa, Fuzzy Dice hanging off a RR Silver Ghost, moon caps, curb feelers & flame decals on a Gull Wing, paint-by-number on the Sistine Chapel....... Wink

Lee, Chairman

Oh, Lee, you're a little extreme there. I agree with your premise and examples, but would not apply them to the Barths above.

There are already a lot of right angles on the front of those coaches, so the rectangular headlights fit in nicely. They also make them seem a little less dated.

If the front of those Barths included some roundness, then, perhaps, rectangular headlights would be inappropriate.

Some vehicles, of course, should not have rect headlights, like a 58 Vette, for one example. Nor should Gullwings Smiler They are very rounded and round headlights compliment the design.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
REAL Jeeps have round headlights!
I know this has nothing to do with the post, but I always thought it was a cool bumpersticker on my brothers CJ.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
I'll agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 296 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Any idea what the rectangular headlight assembleys came off of? I always though the rectangular headlights looked better on basically the big box that a Barth is.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil T.:
Any idea what the rectangular headlight assembleys came off of?

He told me, but I forgot. I think it was a truck.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
I believe they were from the late 80's model caddillac. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The 79 to 89 Cadillac headlight/parking light assemblies were used on Barths starting in 83 or so to 97. Some less common models, such as Euros, MCCs, Monarchs, etc did not use them.

Cad first used them on the 79 Eldorados and Sevilles, then used them on everything until the mid 80s, and used them last on the 89 Fleetwood Brougham. These are from notes I took at a Cad club show, so should be close.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

Lee, Chairman

Well, I will say that the round headlight design certainly is distinctive.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I will say that the round headlight design certainly is distinctive.

Is that what's called a tongue-in-cheek comment Bill? Smiler

Actually, in 5 years I've never even used my headlights. I plan it so that by sundown I'm backed-up, plugged-in, awning dropped, with a G&T in one hand and a Swisher Sweet in the the other. I plan it that way 'cause on-coming nightime traffic looks like a half dozen carbon-arc searchlights to me....(doc says cataract surgery is gonna fix all that....)

I did replace a lamp when I first got it.....think it was $4.96....Wonder if the square-tubers can beat that..... Big Grin

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Those conversions are different from the Cadillac assemblies.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
You can buy dual square headlight assemblies at almost any truck dealer. Many of these are designed for surface mount.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post