Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Almost a rebuild
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
We bought our 1992 30' Breakaway last fall to be our alaska cruiser this comming summer. We have been working on it ever since.

If my wife had seen this coach before we bought it the sale would not have happened. To say it was dirty was an understatement. All the walls were covered with diesel soot. She spend almost 3 weeks cleaning walls. When done they looked like new.

Tiled the bath and hallway. Didn't like carpet in the bathroom and the tile looks great.

New re-upolstered the couch.

Steam cleaned the carpet. Added a fold down bamboo cutting board to the end of the counter.

New 2000 watt Zantrex inverter/charger and threw the bad house batteries out and put in 4 T105s.

Added a 5 stage reverse osmosis system for really great drinking water. At the same time added an instant hot water tap that provides 190 degree water for coffe, tea, soup etc.

New TV and radio with Aux inputs so the TV audio now runs thru the stereo system.

Added a build in vacumn cleaner in the hallway.

Replace the old jensen vent in the toilet area with a fantastic vent. Really like good stong exhaust in the toilet area.

This coach had basement air which decided to not work. So out it came to be replaced by a Carier 13,500 btu roof air. Amazing the amount of storeage we picked up by ripping out the duct work. Even have room in the a/c bay for a 100 pound norcold freezer to store the Halibut we plan on catching this summer.

The refigerator decided to stop working, so ended up replacing the cooling unit on it. This turned out to be so easy I couldn't believe it.

Have a new aquajet water pumpt to install yet. It keeps the water pressure at 60-80psi which works better for the reverse osmosis system.

Adding a wilson cell booster yet and need to get my 2 meter ham antenna up.

Taking the batwing TV antenna off and putting up a townsend crank up satilitte with a clip on tv antenna. Will be able to use the existing RF cable for both sat and off air tv.

Also replaced all the tires, so it has new rubber all the way around. Bought them at sam's club who would not mount them so I did it myself. Been 40 years since I had last done this. The secret is in the soap. Two parts liquid laundrey detergent to one part water.

Hopefully we are about done until next year. I still have transmission replacement on my list. Just don't like the 4 speed 542 box. Want a lockup torque convertor and at least one overdrive.

In summary I haven't worked on a motor home this much since I converted a bus back in the early 90s.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love to see some before and after pictures!

Posts: 45 | Location: Canada | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to figure out who you got this from. Did you buy it from a guy in Texas?

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No before pictures and no after pictures. Most of the work would not show up in pictures anyway except for the tile floor.

And yes I bought it in TX.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
No before pictures and no after pictures.
That really is a shame. Frowner

Confused You do know, there is always plenty of time to take "after pictures". Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
What did you use to clean the walls?

Thank you.

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marleen used a no soap carpet cleaner (doen't remember the brand off hand). This was the main one and a couple of other things she don't remember.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I'll look for no soap cleaners. Several cleaners we've tried leave a residue -- makes a bigger spot. Most of our stains are water stains from assorted leaks which we fix as we find them. Must be a rainbow on the way!

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post