Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electric awning installation
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Finally, got the electric awning installed on my Breakaway. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

This is the 9100 Dometic awning. Installation write up on this link.

Electric awning installation

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed, I could not open your link. I am not sure why my PC would not open the link. I went to your website and I could not find it either. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for the update on your awning.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's in .pdf format - make sure your Adobe is up-to-date

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Great write-up! That mounting rail looks hell for stout. Never have any trouble there!

I have an electric awning, installed by Camping World. That's also why the wall near the front door needs to be replaced. head bang

The awning wind sensor was installed through the roof and leaked...
The wiring for the awning is exposed where they fished it through from below...
They mounted the switch for the awning closest to the door and right next to the light switches, easy to confuse in the dark...

Good idea to have a hotwire/disconnect system. My awning once extended itself while parked next to the garage, ended up leaning against the garage roof... glad I wasn't driving. Still don't now why that could happen but I unplug it when driving now. confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ed.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I don't know what website you tried.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
It's in .pdf format - make sure your Adobe is up-to-date
No Adobe was not working. I copied the file to my pc. I searched for another way to open Ed's file. I found PDF Viewer from Microsoft.
Thanks Ed for sharing your work. What is a rivnut?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rivnut is like a pop rivet except it is threaded and a special tool much like a pop rivet tool is used to install. Drill an appropriate hole size in the receiving material, thread the rivnut on to the tool, insert rivnut into the material and squeeze. Un-thread the tool from the inserted rivnut and viola, you now have a threaded insert. A variety of thread sizes both SAE and metric are available.

google search for rivnut

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I really like Rivnuts is there anyway to dimple the base sheet metal so the Rivnut mounting flange top and the mating surface are flush. If this is possible I would use them instead of pop rivets on the skin in some applications where I would want removable or replaceable stuff.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Love those rivnuts...

When we replaced the windshield on my Cessna, it was riveted in place. Must have been 100 rivets at least. The biggest job was drilling out all those rivets, took hours.

Once the rivets were out it was a quick job to remove and replace the windshield. We could have redone it with rivets in a few minutes but I couldn't do that to the next guy.

We installed rivnuts in all the holes. Now the windshield is held in place with small stainless screws. You could remove the winshield in about ten minutes with a screw gun. Mechanic Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok Steve I bet you did a new weight and balance or the Aircraft!!! Mischief

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
http://www.stanleyengineeredfa.../animation/pull-thru

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post