Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kitchen(Galley) Cabinets
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Todd
posted
I am getting to the frustrating point in my quest to make my AirFlo sharp. I still am thinking of my friend in Lewisburg PA helping me. We're just really far apart.

I really won't take on this job solo as I don't have all the tools & clamps needed. I have contacted a couple of locals, but wooden cabinets get expensive.

This leads me to my question: Has anyone had experience with ready made cabinets ala Lowes or Home Despot? I really dislike particle board because of dampness, God Forbid the roof leaking, vibrations from the road & the extreme temperature changes. I don't know if it's the same for a Motorhome, suspension wise.

Any & all thoughts welcome.
Todd

Posts: 68 | Location: Bay Shore,New York | Member Since: 03-22-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like particle board due to the weight, the way it absorbs moisture, and the way it smells. I also don't like the way it holds (or doesn't hold) fasteners. I find it is prone to sagging in horizontal applications unless it is supported well (More weight). I am in CT, and have a friend who is an out-of-work cabinet maker. He is really good, and hasn't been able to find work for some time. Maybe you can find a cabinet maker in your area? If not, you could tow it to somebody, go over the design ideas, and then stay connected via internet and pictures while they work on it. Seeing examples of their work, and their shop, before doing the deal would be important. Hal

Posts: 17 | Location: CT | Member Since: 05-18-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Todd, I build a few cabinets. For a lighter weight use 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood for the carcasses and 3/4" solid wood door frames with 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood inserts.

Or just haul that thing down to Georgia and be prepared to stay a few days and help.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Todd
posted Hide Post
Hal
Appreciate the answer. Your answers seem to match mine. Where in CT are you? I had the trailer in Waterford when I was working on it. I have friends in Fairfield. CT is just a hop skip & jump from LI. Is your friend looking for any side jobs?

Todd
212 354 8817 office 6:15 am on

Posts: 68 | Location: Bay Shore,New York | Member Since: 03-22-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Todd
posted Hide Post
Nick
I have a friend in Lansing NC who said the same thing. My other friend is in Lewisburg PA. I appreciate the offer.

This is the thing holding me back a little. I hope to be 90% finished by my Tearjerkers Gathering in CT. That's in Aug.

Todd

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BHal:
I don't like particle board due to the weight, the way it absorbs moisture, and the way it smells. I also don't like the way it holds (or doesn't hold) fasteners. I find it is prone to sagging in horizontal applications unless it is supported well.

Another reason to dislike particle board is the toxins in the glue used to hold it together. I will cut it only outdoors on a windy day. I won't even try to cut it indoors with a respirator, fan, vacuum system, nothing. . Evil stuff.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd:
Has anyone had experience with ready made cabinets ala Lowes or Home Despot?
Mine has been up since 2004 without any problems.

Because I'm tall, I only installed kitchen cabinet stuff.

If you haven't noticed, bathroom height cabinets are around 29" tall and 18" deep. On the other hand, kitchen cabinets are around 34" tall and 24" deep.

In your case, you're probably going to go compact, look for bathroom cabinets and countertops if going for the mfg stuff.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Any opinions on Lowe's vs HD ready made cabinets? We have taken a peek at Lowe's Portland line, but not much at HD yet.

I gotta put in a whole bunch of oak door cabinets in the near future. 57' of wall and 79' of base cabinets.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MHowe
posted Hide Post
Most box stores have different level of cabinet construction. You don't have to buy particle board cabinets. Mine (for the house) are all plywood with solid fronts, doors and dovetailed. I suggest you look into the higher end line of cabinets.

Posts: 23 | Location: Chicago Area | Member Since: 04-10-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHowe:
Most box stores have different level of cabinet construction. You don't have to buy particle board cabinets. Mine (for the house) are all plywood with solid fronts, doors and dovetailed. I suggest you look into the higher end line of cabinets.

What I looked at yesterday was abysmal. Plus, we have size issues. I think I will buy doors and make the cabinets myself. Frameless, (with Blum hinges, of course).

Anybody have door source recommendations?

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding good wood (or woodworkers for that matter)
Do any of your schools still have wood shop classes? Ours died out in the 80's when vocational training became unpopular. Who wants "those jobs" anyway... Try finding a good plumber, electrician, or mechanic these days. The good ones make good money and are worth every penny.
I remember in 7th grade wood shop we could buy wood from the shop teacher. Beautiful black walnut, clear maple and oak, and mahogany for 20 cents a board foot. Should have bought it all.
In 1963 my father bought his 1927 38 ft Matthews. It was cheap and needed work. I got to know it well (he still has it) The bottom was planked with mahogany, 1 1/8 thick over oak ribs. Some of the planks were 10" wide and up to 20 ft long! Most of that disappeared during WWII. We had trouble even then getting good boat wood. Fortunately the hull was mostly sound, but we replaced all the butt blocks below the water line. Had the boat 3 yrs before it got into the water, but it is still going strong.
This is what I think about when I work on quality stuff built to last (like Barth) I can look at that boat and see things we fixed (right!) that are still good 40 plus years later. Another reason I don't mind working on airplanes. Never felt that way about cars.
Looking forward to seeing your results. Good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5169 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
Nick does great work I have seen it and he knows HOW TO MAKE THEM FIT WITH LITTLE EFFORT
lenny
PS:and it is a great place to stay

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Todd
posted Hide Post
I see that. Problem is Georgia is not around the corner from Long Island.

Todd

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd
Don't know if you have any Grossman outlets near you but I found a line of unassembled oak faced all wood with 1/2 inch plywood (NO particle board)
cabinet. They have those useless quick clamp connectors that they put on all that cheap do it your self furniture. I considered them great clamps. I just used glue on every joint and then tightened up the included clamps and they have been great. Used them on both our houseboat and in the Barth.
Good luck.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
Do you know that kitchen cabinets are deeper 3 inches or so.Bathroom cabinets are also 3inches shorter but you can get back saver cabinets that are the same hight as the kitchen cabinets.Watch what you buy if you go to a big box store that you get the size you want.The best by far are Nicks he is an expert.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post