Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Major electrial issue
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I previously reported that I had replaced the vacuum system with an electric one to cure some cruise control issues. Well---250 miles down the road and the cruise control quit, never to return during this last 2500 mile journey!

I set about trouble shooting this on Wednesday and found a connector in the right rear with a wire dangling, the next 3 pictures are a real graphic illustration of my troubles--and the repair.

Connectors just after being separated:

Ready for this?

And this!

After two days, dawn to dusk, it now looks like this:

This is what was left over:

This is a link to the write up and more detail in .PDF format:
Major Electrical Issue

Tomorrow I tackle the muffler change.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Ouch nasty stuff! And I bet that somewhere I have connectors that look just like that. But I would have spent days on the computer and phone trying to find a replacement connector! Never would hae thought to just dump the thing!

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Holy Moley! I've encountered less mung on connectors on ships where I was the Chief Engineer - and we lived in salty environs!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post

That is how I got my 33 foot, 1991 Barth for $500.00

After I cleaned those connections up, I started it up and drove it out of the dealership parking lot.

This is why I spent all that time telling everyone about the green gremlins and how moisture will do stuff like that. Are those house wire nuts?

Take the connections apart and inspect them. Great picture Ed! Wake up call for the rest of us you. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yes, those were (notice I said were) house wire nuts as came from the factory. I have been going over the coach and reconnecting (taking off the wire nuts) using the same method, stripping, inline twist, solder and shrink tubing. Many times I had to go quite a ways up the wire to get clean copper wire to solder, that corrosion really walks up the wires.

I will take some spare wire and do a small write up of the procedure that I use later this week.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
That would be helpful for some of the you's or put another way us's! (ME'S) Wink

mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ironsides:
That would be helpful for some of the you's or put another way us's! (ME'S) Wink
Seeing that we have some new members now might be a good time to bring up this piece. Read up on a little FYI I did over a year ago...

Titled: "Failed wiring and how to protect against it. FYI..."

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post