Reply To This Topic

Speedhut gauges
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
Just got my new gauges from Speedhut.

My OEM tachometer was long gone. The old speedometer starts out 5 mph slow and ends up 2 mph fast after a few hours of running. The speedo cable is worn out and the needle bounces. I am also replacing the cruise control so I can get rid of the old cables entirely.

Speehut allows choices for diameter, range of the gauge, colors, pointer style, font, scale type, bezel type, etc. Also custom text!

The speedo is GPS driven: just power wires and a small antenna. The gauges are only about 1 inch deep, easy to install.

The original gauges are rather unique but at least I did get a decent match on color, bezel, pointer style and font.

The speedo will display trip, time, compass direction, elevation, peak speed, 1/4 mile time and 0-60 mph! I can't wait to get to the strip!

When I replace the gauges I will rewire the instrument panel, also replace the panel lights with small LED types. When it warms up I will be installing all the new goodies.

I think it was Bill NY who found speedhut. (Thanks to whoever it was)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Since the weather here is so cold (65 degrees! Cool) and I only took a short ride on the motorcycle, I finally got around to working on the instrument panel.

Left side: wiper switch, light switch, wiper switch. Lots of wires... (Note the knob release button on the light switch, also the separate black wiring harness for lights.)

Right side has plenty of wires, too.

Center view: New gauges are only about 1 inch deep! Tach needs yellow wire to distributor, speedo needs GPS antenna plugged in.
I tightened up the wires on the back of the gauges, many were a bit loose. Tied the bundles together with nylon ties.
I replaced the bulbs in the gauges with LED types. You can also see where I wired in individual LEDs for the high beam, right and left signal indicators.

Replaced the partially melted panel backlight bulbs with LEDs also.

It is coming along. I rewired the rocker switches on the left. The "CLRNC LGT" switch now works, the other "lighted" switches were never "lighted" before, now they are. The AUX START switch is no longer a momentary contact type. (The fog lights still have not been installed, but the switch works!)

The speedo requires a GPS antenna. Since the windshield is so close to vertical, I figured the antenna would work better outside in the clear. Good news: the antenna is magnetic. Bad news: Barth is aluminum. I glued the antenna on the top of the driver mirror.

I still have the new cruise to install, the new compressed air system, and the new battery isolator. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Kewl! Thumbs Up

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed... Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Nice

You must be down south somewhere! I sure am not getting anything done in Minnesnowta. 10 inches of snow again yesterday. AGGGGGGG deadhorse Only something like 4175 days to retirement!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
He's in the Conch Republic...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Actually that was me that posted about these last April... Smiler Glad they are working out for you, they look great!! Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have the old style dash and am not sure what to do about a tach and tranny temp gauge. For the time being, nothing. Got to get a bunch of other wiring issues figured out.
Jim and Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I couldn't remember where the link came from. So far these are nice. Thumbs Up

Below the instrument panel is my next challenge, there is a rat's nest of wiring of unknown function, waiting to tease me with intermittent tricks. I'm going to sort it out and lace up the wires when I hook up the brake wires for the cruise control. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only something like 4175 days to retirement!

Hang in there Buddy! Thumbs Up
Only something like 6400 days since retirement! cheers

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve, where did you get the electronic speed control unit? Do you have to have an electronic speedometer to make it work?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Jim I have a Dakota Digital aftermarket cruise from Summit racing. It is all electric, no vacuum hoses etc. It comes with a speed sensor which connects at the transmission between the existing speedo cable and the trans. In my case I'll not be using the cable any more.

I just got it out today, I'll be installing it in the next few days. Photos will follow. I won't be able to test it until I leave at the end of the month on the way to Raccoon Mountain. See you there with more details!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve, did you upgrade your speedometer to an electric GPS system? If so, I guess you used a Dakota system designed for an electric speedometer.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Dakota sells several models.

The ones for the newer cars do not need a speed sensor, they just have a single "VSS" wire to pick up the signal from the car's computer.

The ones for the older rigs with cable speedometers come with an adapter which installs in line with the cable. The adapter has an internal rev sensor and a cable to connect to the cruise module. This is the model I'm using, with the adapter attached to the trans. I won't be using the rest of the cable any more.

The cruise unit itself is the same, just gets its speed signal from a different source.

This unit is adjustable for sensitivity (gain) and response time (rate) I am hoping I can get it to hold speed well and respond properly to hills, etc.

I will start a new thread with photos probably tomorrow.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I fired up and ran back from Florida. The new gauges are excellent. Thumbs Up

The speedo is rock steady and within 1 mph almost all the time. (Sometimes when I'm under an overpass it jumps very slightly. I suspect it would have a fit in a tunnel)

The tach is also very good.

I'm pleased with these gauges. Easy to install, custom graphics, good performance. A bit pricey but not too bad.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp