Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hot Water heater replacement
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I`m replacing all the water lines in my 86 Regal-- The water heater is original & want to replace it -- It`s a 6 Gallon Atwood -- The newer Atwood`s are smaller -- Anyone replaced one & what did you use ? I`ve worked on RV`s since 1978 & this is the first time I`ve seen a water heater installed using rivets -- Bill Willard

Posts: 4 | Location: Gilbert, Arizona | Member Since: 02-24-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I replaced a 6 gallon Atwood some time ago. They are indeed riveted in place. I disconnected the water lines, the gas line and the wires to the control board. Some units have coolant lines for engine heat, some have 110v heater coils, mine did not.

After drilling out the rivets, the unit slid right out. The replacement I used was the same size and went right in. I did not know the newer ones were smaller. It sounds like you may have to use an adapter plate. Let us know what you do so we can share it!

If the tank is not leaking, it may be easier to get new gas valve and burners, new Dinosaur circuit board. The 110v heater elements and thermostats are also available.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve -- Thanks for the reply -- I just purchased this 86 Barth Regal for the purpose of doing a rehab & then selling-- We no longer travel @ our age 85/89 years young - I have a home shop & do RV rehab to keep out of the wife`s hair -- I have a lot of experience with the failure of the polybutylene water lines used in this coach -- So, I`m replacing all water lines & the 36 year old water heater -- I have not tried the heater & have found no evidence of any water line failures -- I removed all the carpet & the floor looks good -- I`m looking for any advice anyone cares to share -- The Barth is a whole different animal - Bill Willard

Posts: 4 | Location: Gilbert, Arizona | Member Since: 02-24-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The old polybutylene was notorious for failure. The newer PEX seems to be a lot better. My 98 has the PEX lines and they seem to be in good shape.

Good luck with your renovation. Let. us know how it turns out!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a Furrion tankless from etrailer.com. I haven't fired it up yet. It was smaller, but I used some angle to size the hole and riveted in place. I used body seam sealer on the edges. I used the original cover and you can't tell from the outside. Part number is a FR93FR 60,000 BTU.

Posts: 17 | Location: Parkersburg, IA | Member Since: 09-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post