Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Entertainment Install Done!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Entertainment Install Done!
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of chrisW
posted
I just finished up updating the A/V in the Regency. The original casette deck and 13" TV just didn't quite do the job (and dated the look of the front!).
I added a 22" wide screen LCD with video and computer monitor inputs to the overhead area. The casette deck was replaced with a CD / DVD / Ipod in dash head unit. This unit will drive its own 4" monitor, the 10" on dash monitor and the overhead monitor. It has inputs for an Ipod and the rear view camera.
The 10" on dash monitor will display the Ipod music info, play the DVD video or display the rear view camera. For a future project it is also a VGA compliant touch screen for connection to a computer (good for lots of music storage, navagation software and general computer use).
The 10" monitor did not look right sitting on the vinyl padded dash so I made up the Oak dash top. It stained cherry to match the Formica gauge panels. I think it came out pretty nice Smiler
The Regency actually had some pretty good speakers. I rewired the 4 speakers in the main room to work as front and rear channel surround sound, it works better than expected!
It didn't cost anywhere near as much as it looks like it did!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I noticed in this weeks news the new Blaupunkt[?] units don't even have a CD player in them anymore. Just inputs for memory cards and i pods and all that other stuff that I don't understand. Dang! There goes another format that I finally got a collection of. Frowner

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
I still buy CD’s and then I can ‘rip’ them to the computer. I like the hard copy backup of the original.
It is really handy to have 200 CD’s worth of music all set to go. The MP3 style head units allow you to sort through it really quickly. You can even search by year or genre, its pretty handy.
It also makes it really easy to make your own ‘best of’ lists.
I resisted the whole MP3 thing for quite a while….it turns out it worth the effort to figure it out!

1985 Regency 35'

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Alrighty then, I'm movin' on. Check out Alejandro Escovedo "Real Animal". http://www.myspace.com/alejandroescovedo
This is my new favorite musician and album.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Another medium is biting the dust! I have never fully embraced CD's and they're going away?! I'm still buying DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) tapes on line although they're getting harder to find in titles I'm willing to buy.

I have never stepped into the current reality, how does MP3 and the latest technology stack up to vinyl as far as sound is concerned?

Does this constitute thread drift? Big Grin

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:

I have never stepped into the current reality, how does MP3 and the latest technology stack up to vinyl as far as sound is concerned?

Some answers will depend on source material, equipment and individual taste.

For us, it's no contest. It's all about bandwidth and sampling rate. CDs are getting better, but are still deficient. Time and again, I have compared a CD and an LP of the same performance, made from the same analog master tape. Vinyl always wins. Some of the Mercury reissues came close, but only because they hired back the wife of the guy who mastered the original pressings.

Of course, I am still stuck in analog, Class A SE 845 triodes, electrostatics, etc. Smiler Most of the music we listen to, live or recorded, is acoustic, so we prefer analog.

However, having said all that, I don't mind digital as a medium of reproduction of a digital or electronic original source, such as a lot of New Age music, for example. And most generic rock or beer bar band music seems not to sound any worse on digital.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
MP3's are perfect for cars, busses, airplanes and such.
Critical listening requires nice equipment, I am still a dipole fan (Magnaplanars or Quads) with some good electronics behind them.

But for the Barth - Nicer to have easy access to the whole libary when away from home. Besides, vinyl dosen't work to well at speed!

1985 Regency 35'

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chrisW:
I am still a dipole fan (Magnaplanars or Quads)

Yeah, same here. Good dipoles kinda ruin ya for anything else. Used to have Quads, too. Loved 'em, but couldn't find subwoofers fast enough to mate well. Presently have Sound Lab A-3s. Like dipoles so much that even my headphones are dipole electrostatic Stax relics from the '70s.

quote:
But for the Barth - Nicer to have easy access to the whole libary when away from home. Besides, vinyl dosen't work to well at speed!

Yeah. We do fine with CDs and cassettes in the Barth. We don't have enough space to store vinyl, anyway. Just storing the pizza-sized planisphere Rusty made me buy caused a major adjustment. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
love ur coach .. ever in tennessee like to see it thinking about grading my dash also have new cb . t.v and stereo also 6x9 speakers have a bose ps 3 2 1 home surrond id like to install but dont use r.v. enough... have it so i can install for long trips though will take pics when i start ....

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robert and kimberly delucia:
.. ever in tennessee like to see it..
Robert and Kimberly, it just so happens that 11+ Barth's are going to be gathered less then 2 hours from your house.

Why don't you stop by and say hi? Wink Your not going to see, that many Barths, this close to your house, anytime soon and maybe never again. So... seize the moment and come on down. Big Grin

September Barth Owners GTG - September 18-21, 2008

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I don't think we use our coach enough to have justified replacing the TV but I'm sure glad we did. It comes in real handy and is a joy to watch when we're stuck inside the coach due to inclement weather or any reason.

When it comes to sound, I have to firmly say I'm on board to the music produced in analog form as opposed to digital. I have a boat load of older Technics pro series gear that in 30 years, has never skipped a beat. when it comes to the speakers, I am a diehard Klipsch fan. That is, the Klipsch of the 60-80s, not the newer stuff. Unfortunately, none of these speakers will fit in the Stagecoach. Frowner

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Wow, I just sold a set of Infinity RS-1B's, but I don't think you would have got them in the Barth, well, and still have room to drive it that is!

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.