Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Propane adapter for gas grill
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
We just bought a propane portable grill (Ultra Sear) that is fueled by the little 1 pound bottles. The instructions say it should never be connected to an rv supply. I found other sites that say there are adapters that fit the large on board tank so you can hook up these small appliances. Can someone tell me if this warning is because of some over pressure issue from the on board tank or is there some other reason why it could not be connected by a hose.
Thanks

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a portable gas grill I hook up to the main tank with no issues. The Reed vapor pressure in a 14.5 oz tank will be the same as in my 25 (29 gal nominal) gal RV tank. I think they want to sell more little bottles (which I have for a lantern and torch, but which I refill from the RV tank) at $3-4 per (I refill mine at about $0.50).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
When you remove the little bottle it looks like the seal is open. How do you refill these?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"it should never be connected to an rv supply."

My understanding is it's okay if you have the proper regulator between the RV tank and the grill. n.b: this is hearsay/myth/3rd-site-from-the-washroom-chatter - not fact.
I know, you already have a regulator (one of those round, mostly flat potmetal things) at the RV tank but the grill MUST have another suitable for the tank. Your kitchen rangetop in the MH will have a regulator at the rangetop.

Finally: My generator runs on propane; if you have a propane generator it has a separate hose and said hose bibb MUST NOT be used for appliances.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
We also must be aware of where you're getting the propane from.

Liquefied Propane Gas (LPG) is not the same as Propane Gas. It may come from the same tank, but it's not the same animal.

Gunner's Generator Set, could, run on LPG. If it does, then he is burning the liquid. You would not want to tap into that line to supply your gas grill.

His stove/grill will run on the vapors from the tank and not the liquid part.

Just make sure that the line you're getting the propane from is in a vapor form.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Gunner's Generator Set, could, run on LPG. If it does, then he is burning the liquid. You would not want to tap into that line to supply your gas grill."

It does, and you expressed what I wished to say before I ranted at too much length. Thanks. G

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I refill my 1 Pound propane bottles with a Harbor Freight valve that is very careful to state the conditions that are important in the refilling process. The temp. of the larger and smaller containers. The condition of the smaller container and the order of tranfer. I used a 20 pound tank with my Coleman propane grill for years when we had our 4 pop up campers. Stay safe. All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
ANY propane device runs on gas - liquids do not burn; they must be gassified first. At room temp and atmospheric pressure, propane is a gas. Regardless of where the LPG is tapped for the outboard grill or stove, it'll be a gas when released to atmospheric pressure. The point of having the LPG from the tank be in gaseous state is because most regulators aren't designed to regulate liquid on the HP side to gas on the LP (low pressure) side.

Regulators merely serve to reduce the pressure of the propane so it'll be sure to be gassified. While some propane generators are said to run on "liquid" propane, what that means is that they have an integral regulator or orifice to reduce the pressure; otherwise the liquid would be at a pressure where the carburetor would be insufficent to draw all the gas into the cylinder.

Even though my LPG system has a regulator at the tank (and so the system is low-pressure), my LPG Kohler Klunker had another at the genset.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
On my LP gen set there is liquid LP brought forward to the Beam regulator. That is where the liquid is transformed to a gaseous state. The beam regulator is also heated by the generator engine coolant to aid in the gasification process.

From there the LP gas goes to a venturi ahead of a throttle plate, there is no carburetor on mine.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
The beam regulator is also heated by the generator engine coolant to aid in the gasification process.

What generator is on your coach? Is it liquid cooled?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
To answer the original post, I will describe my own situation. My Barth came with 2 quick disconnect outlets. One right out of the tank ( high Pressure) and one after the regulator. Grills that use the small bottles are of the high pressure type.
I have the Coleman Roadtrip grill that normally use the small bottles. I have a 20foot rubber propane hose that I connect to the high pressure valve on the RV thank and connect it to the Coleman. Works perfectly.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
What generator is on your coach? Is it liquid cooled?

I have the Kwyatt 7.0 with a Daihatsu 3 cylinder engine. It is liquid cooled. Was originally a gas unit and was converted for RV use to LPG. The carburetor is still there but gutted and used for the throttle/governor only.

It is very quiet and smooth except the cooling fan makes a lot of noise, I suppose that could be changed to an electric fan but it works in the desert so I won't fix that for awhile. I have a 44 gallon propane tank sthat can support a lot of generator use.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post