Reply To This Topic

new converter, new TV
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
Latest projects.
1. The old converter was a mid 90's good one but didn't have the trick cycles like the new ones and the float voltage was little too high to leave unattended. Mother nature solved the problem. The storm the other day zapped the old converter. Got a new Precision Dynamics 9245 with multiple charge modes and equalization cycles. Quick and easy to install.

2. Then came the TV project. The old 15 inch analog was history.

Took out the old mount, saved the bottom, got the biggest one I could fit in (24 inch)

Just barely fits between the front cabinet doors!

Got it done just in time for my favorite intellectual programming..

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5175 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I replaced the rear TV last year and now in the process of doing the front. I took out the DVD/VHS player, TV, and Kennwood Amp. some of the connections were not which explained why I could not get the TV sound to play via the amp, or why the DVD did not play in the rear TV.

This was all 110V stuff, which needed to be on for the TV to work, generating a lot of heat and using a lot of power.

The rear TV is 19 inch LED/LCD and uses a 110 to 24 volt converter. The TV is running on 24 Volt DC. I saw a 32 inch at best buy that will fit between the cabinet doors on the front (31 Inchs) and also runs on 24 volt. At Walmart a Viso sound bar and a Sony Sound bar run on 24 volt.

I can use the 110 volt, but if it is easy enough I would like to go directly from 12 to 24. I assume stepping up from 12 to 24 for the Video stuff would be more efficient than running the inverter to take battery power up to 110 then convert it back down with the TV transformer to 24 volt.

The current draw is low between 2 and 5 amps. Starting to look for converters they are a bit pricy $100 up, and I would need two of them.

The Wingard dish uses a 110v to 12 volt inverter to supply power to the dish. Seems that using the 12 volt direct would work?

Which leaves the AV switcher which is old and uses 110 volt, but a passive switcher is cheap $20 or so. Leaving only the Dish Network box on 110 volt. So far I have not been able to contract for 3 months of Dish, as I am only here 3 months. So it has not been used yet.

Any suggestions, I wonder I can run a new power wire jumping two batteries and just run a new circuit to the TV's bypassing the converter. Or install two small 12 volt batteries in series next to the TV? They would charge via the normal 12 volt circuit?

Sorry for the length.

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Loughney:
Any suggestions,
Tom - I don't really have a suggestion to help you with this plan - I only have concerns and questions.

How do you propose charging each 12v battery?

2 - 12v battery, in series, will give you 24 volts... but 2 - 12.7 volt batteries will give you 25.4 volts.

Also, 2 batteries being charged at 14.1 volts will give you 28.2 volts.

You are dealing with variation in voltages on a small scale. If not fully charged, 2 - 10.5 volt batts will give you 21 volts.

Here is the state of charge chart for batteries.

I think your better play would be to use the 24 volts from the stepdown transformers - it'll save you money in the long run in ruined appliances, the cost for whatever items you planned on purchasing to get the 24 volts charged, and the extra batteries, from 12 volts.

We have had one member who fried everything when he had a straight 12v conversion like you proposed - another member had no problem. Keep in mind, they went with 12v across - not a 24v upcharge.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Loughney:
So far I have not been able to contract for 3 months of Dish, as I am only here 3 months. So it has not been used yet.
Can't speak for anyone here - but maybe someone who has "The Dish Network" will allow you to piggyback on their account for the 3-4 months that you are here.

My parents have Direct TV in their house - and they turn on their extra receiver for 4 months out of the year for their boat. It's just $5 extra a month that way.

Worth a shot - do you have a relative, or close friend, with a Dish Network? One with Direct TV perhaps? hmm

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Here is reference to a new setup. sky

Dish RV TV

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
We bought new tvs for our bus 7 years ago. One plugged into 110 and then went thru a converter to run on 12v. We had been doing a lot of dry camping up until that time so i got the bright idea that instead of taking 12v. from my batteries and going thru my inverter to get 110, then thru the tv's converter to go back to 12v, i would just direct wire to the 12v system and save all of that power loss. Smiler Two weeks later when i got the tv back from the shop, they said there were 5 blown fuses/circuits in it. They said they had never seen one with more than one or two that were blown and could not figure out what had caused it.......and i did not tell them. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post

I bought a Viso LED LCD 32 inch tv that was 30.5 inches wide and I had 31 inches between the cabinet doors.

I thought I could easily take off the old TV extension and move the new TV flush with the front wall, but when I looked inside I realized that this Barth was not going to submit easily.

Turns out tha the flush mount bracket is about 1 1/4 inches thick and by using the 1x4 behind the front oak facer the new TV only sticks out about 2 inches total. I need to use a wire to release the safety latch but I don't expect to do that very often.

The entire adventure took about 4 hours, 1 hour to cut and drill the holes, 30 min to go to the hardware store, and 2 1/2 hours to chat with people wondering what I was doing.

I have a normal antenna and old switcher but get perfect HD shows on the TV. Quite sharp, as good as a DVD quality.

Can not yet hook up the Dish network box to work, seems like the AV switcher does not switch between the dish and Antenna. Otherwise Dish does have a promotion for no contract stuff $44/month for basic. Their website wants me to buy new gear, but I have not yet talked with them I need to make it work first.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post