Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    John, Toilet, Head, Potty, & Crapper Talk
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

John, Toilet, Head, Potty, & Crapper Talk
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Yes, we've had some fun, but I hope there were some readers who learned a few things as these devices are kinda a necessity.

I did have one very funny moment in this project. A friend who is an airline pilot took a tour of the Wanderlodge while I was preparing to do the swap. At the time the old toilet was still in place and I set the new one on a rug in the middle of the hallway into the bedroom as the rug was soft. Later when I was having a beer with my buddy he stated that he'd never seen a RV with two toilets! Apparently he thought the one in the middle of the hallway was functional too. I explained to him what was really going on and we both laughed as he said he thought it a weird place for a toilet, but oh well!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Yes, we've had some fun, but I hope there were some readers who learned a few things as these devices are kinda a necessity.

I did have one very funny moment in this project. A friend who is an airline pilot took a tour of the Wanderlodge while I was preparing to do the swap. At the time the old toilet was still in place and I set the new one on a rug in the middle of the hallway into the bedroom as the rug was soft. Later when I was having a beer with my buddy he stated that he'd never seen a RV with two toilets! Apparently he thought the one in the middle of the hallway was functional too. I explained to him what was really going on and we both laughed as he said he thought it a weird place for a toilet, but oh well!

A step in time saves nine! Location, location, location.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Probably a good thing he didn't have his 4 year old boy with him. Big Grin

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a lurker here, and this is my first post. I see a lot of helpful stuff on this forum. We got the Vetus toilet, the 12 vt model WC12L2, and are about to install it in our 2000 Wanderlodge LXI, which is, or should be, very similar to Corey's Moonbeam Express. We had the RV tech out to scope out the installation yesterday. The water and drainage connections will work, but, the RV Tech says that the 12 vt wiring in the exterior wall chase is too thin for the 25 amp rating of the macerator, which, according to the Vetus manual, does require a 25 amp fuse. Corey, did you have the same issue?

Thank you.
Ron

Posts: 1 | Location: MN & TX | Member Since: 03-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ron,

A very big welcome aboard! How cool, another WL and a 2000 LXi at that. I'm curious, is yours a Millennium Edition? I started a spreadsheet to try to identify all that were built.

I, perhaps naively, found an unused 12V wire pair in the toilet connection area (behind the toilet in the wooden box)and simply hooked it up. It's got yo be on its 100th flush anyway and no sign of trouble. I don't know what Vetus model I have, can't recall.

One thing I did need to do was a dd a sprayer next to the toilet. The Vetus I have is sort of a dumb one and made for a boat. There was no provision to fill the toilet partially up with water. I won't get graphic as it's still early, but when doing toilet business it is good to have some water in the bowl. The added sprayer is also something I missed from our Barth as it is such a nice cleaning aid.

Have you had your LXi very long? Are you also on WOG? Quite a different group I find. I much prefer the company here at Barthmobile although David Brady (also a Texan) is a wealth of knowledge and a great guy. I've tried to get him to enter the fray here at BM, but haven't seen him yet.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Our Newell has the microfor air toilet and it works great and has for years. No vacuum involved, but it does have a hopper that is discharged by air pressure.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our Newell has the microfor air toilet and it works great and has for years. No vacuum involved, but it does have a hopper that is discharged by air pressure.

I said vacuum, but I think mine was air pressure also.

It's funny, I posted my distaste for the Microphor design on the Blue Bird forum and a slew of people spoke up saying how much they loved theirs. I think it boils down to the obvious, if yours work - you love it....if not...

I rebuilt the air/water valve a number of times and it would work for a bit, then start acting up. The valve itself was deteriorating, like the plastic was wearing out. Weird! Replacement cost for just the housing was big money, like $500! I ended up owning the new toilet for less than I sold the used Microphor for. Everyone's happy! Thumbs Up

Now for the "funny" part (warning: you may not find it funny). A bunch of the defenders are now replacing their Microphor toilets. One guy needed a new compressor piece ...$800. Another guy had the hopper crack, and yet another just kept clogging in the 1.5" line. Suddenly my post is popular hmm

I wish you many a happy flush, but if a major item starts going away I believe you will see the beauty in a simpler design.

The macerating toilet has been superb, but it is new after all. I really like that the offensive material is liquified as it makes dumping a less "personal" matter. I really don't need to recall what I had for dinner two nights ago confusion

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
Any pictures of the king on his ON HIS THRONE. I have a few pics. of me on mine.
Wanna see?

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeez Lenny, it's still early already!!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wanna see?

PERISH THE THOUGHT!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:

Our 767s came with vacuum toilets. Some found it entertaining to unroll a little paper, drop the end in the toilet, and flush it. Of course, it had a timer, so the toilet stopped sucking before the roll ran empty, so the roll kept running on its own inertia.

Those of you who remember the old bait-casting reels will remember the birdsnest backlashes the occurred on the over run if not properly "thumbed".......... Imagine a TP backlash.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine a TP backlash.

I'm getting a visual!!! Mad

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Reviving this classic thread rather than start new. ROTFLMAO

Just replaced the toilet in the Monarch. Decided to share my experience. The toilet I had was OEM I think. Sealand Traveler model 510.

I replaced it for several reasons.

I had black leaks around the base flange and supply water leaks from the valve. This saturated the floor for some time it appears, also some corrosion in the bay below. The floor was soft around the flange due to leakage there. The flange on the Sealand is odd, uses four bolts at 130, 430, 730 and 1030, large inside hole, narrow non standard flange gasket.

The water valve dripped supply water onto the floor also. Bad O ring I think.

Poor flush action:
The hole is set too far back in the bowl, the "bombs do not always hit the well"
The bowl is rather flat in that area so they "sit on the shelf" and require the use of the spray hose to move the mail. Takes more water to fill and rinse the wide flat bowl.

Incidentally, it is a low toilet and I wanted a taller one.

I replaced it with a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II. Ceramic bowl also, taller height, much better performance. I have one in the 86 and I never needed a spray wand, didn't know they made them.

Flush hole is more forward, better yet the bowl has a much steeper slope all around so "stuff" slides right down. Water valve is more intuitive, push down half way for rinse, all the way down to flush. (Sealand you RAISE the lever to rinse, down to flush.) The rinse is much better, the spray goes around the entire bowl sideways then spirals down. The Sealand has a few rinse holes under the bowl rim which is much more trouble to clean. Thetford has no internal rim in the bowl.

Thetford has a standard 2 bolt flange (3 and 9) and standard discharge size, standard toilet gasket. I did not bother to install a spray wand.

I first installed a new plywood platform and an extension flange to get the floor level and sturdy. Also installed a shut off valve in the supply line for future maintainence. (The wall paper project continues)

I highly recommend the Thetford unit. It will always let you down. ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I need to replace mine same model as yours. Mine is also short but on a pedestal so it is fine. I could not use a taller unit.

I have replaced the main seals twice and both times the rubber would shrink and the bowl would not hold water, plus that would allow gas from the tank back into the area.

The sprayer from the back has some sort of check/relief valve and that is leaking each time the toilet is flushed. I have a catch can under it but still is needing replacement.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My main seal leaked also, bowl would drain. I did not feel like replacing both flush and supply valve. The antisiphon check valve still works and does not leak (yet)

My older Thetford in the 86 has a flat blade gate style valve. It has not leaked for the 7 years I have used it. Evidently that model is no longer made. The new Theford has the ball style valve like the old Sealand, hopefully a better seal design than the Sealand.

So far the new one works perfectly, holds water. Time will tell.

So far I am quite happy with both the Thetfords. Thumbs Up

PS: Nov 2021 The Thetford is still working perfectly. No issues

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post