Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water Pump
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Don't know if this should be in tech talk or improvements!!

Looking at the pictures of the new water pump I just installed, probably should be in this improvements section. Cummins obviously made a couple of improvements in the water pump for the B5.9. The impeller change is obvious and also the size of the housing. As we are at 110K miles now i thought that it would be appropriate to change the pump as it will fail sometime in the future and i don't want to risk an on the road repair. We may go to Alaska this summer so I am trying to get all components that are known to fail changed out now. The old water pump was starting to weep, so--!

Some time ago I added a drain to the crossover pipe so that I could easily drain the coolant, I also add a valve to the bleeder petcock at the top of the engine and tied it into the upper radiator hose so that the system will have a constant air bleed path. Most of my other big Cummins had this and I couldn't figger out why the B5.9 didn't have this feature.

Also ran the valves again after 35K miles and found that the exhaust were good, but the intakes had closed up, did notice a slight shake (which is now gone)before I ran the valves so this must have been the cause.

With the new water pump installed, I could not get the engine up to 180 degrees (not moving) by high idle, will have to take it out on the road to asses if the new pump is better then the old, my gut feel is it will be MUCH better. Will report on the first road test next week.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post