Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Headlight upgrades
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Autozone is advertising a $5 and $10 rebate, respectively, on Sylvania Silverstar and Silverstar Ultra bulbs until 9/23.

Rebates usually come from the distributor, so check other places, as well.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Think about it for a few minutes Bill. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Still over my head. Frowner
This website warns me when it perceives that someone used an objectionable word. Before I posted that, I received 7 warnings from this post of potential problems.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
so before I go digging around. My headlights are bright. Maybe too bright? I guess I have not driven much at night. I headed North for the lake at 3am to be able to make it thru construction zones with ease. Plan worked headlights surprised me.

Low beams plenty of light and no problems. High-beams bright I think I can see to Canada. confusion Zipping along and whoa no lights? Hit the low beams and I have light. hmmmmmmmmm
After a while try the High Beam and bingo it works. Go a while and boom gone again.

Repeated multiple times? I am imagining a circuit breaker? Where? I am imagining where Ed shows in the upgrade info. What would they be kicking it?

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Dana, it is not clear to me if you have already installed relay for headlamps, as Ed (and other) recommended). If not, that is what you need. You may also need to clean every connection in the circuit.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
You may also need to clean every connection in the circuit.

Anyone who has owned an elderly VW beetle will appreciate the utility of this activity.

And, as a retired avionics tech, I moved a lot of airplanes by cleaning the right connections.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
A lot of standard automotive headlight switches have a built-in auto reset circuit breaker.

I will join the chorus and recommend relays.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
I've noticed a number of highway heavy haulers have installed a LED conversion. As it is still pretty light out here I don't know how they are at night , but as daytime running lights they are very bright. The model 8800 is the model that seems most common.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/other/led-headlamps

At present the price is still very high!! About 300 per (so I've heard). However the voltage range of 10.5 to 32 volts could mean that rewiring would not be necessary to get good lighting.
Has anyone else seen these or heard how they perform?

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
A lot of standard automotive headlight switches have a built-in auto reset circuit breaker.

I will join the chorus and recommend relays.

I have not spent time checking yet but I have relays and the setup looks like what Ed has. There is not issue with voltage drop to the lights because they are super bright. I know some of this is DBarth's higher elevation perspective but they are super bright.

When I get a chance I will check connections and possible circuit breakers and voltages. I bet I may have time at the Minnesnowta GTG next week at Treasure Island! I carry my tools.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:

At present the price is still very high!! About 300 per (so I've heard). However the voltage range of 10.5 to 32 volts could mean that rewiring would not be necessary to get good lighting.
Has anyone else seen these or heard how they perform?

Bud

Thru Canada on our way to and from Alaska, I saw lot of trucks with these headlights. I looked for them at fuel stops but no one carried them.

Back in the USA I did not see any trucks with them. not sure if they are DOT legal here.

They sure are bright and white approaching but as you say, it has been light up there. would like to see how they illuminate in the dark and the light pattern.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
They are DOT approved - at $385 EACH, they'd better be really good!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've found the Sylvania Silver Star IIs are just fine. I have them in my truck and car, too, and like them a lot.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post