Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Headlight upgrades
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted
Is there anything especially unique to Barths that would complicate upgrade the headlights to HID? I feel pretty certain that would help with the dim light problem. If anyone has done this already any information you could share with me would be appreciated.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
First, my guess is that if the current headlights are dim, it's caused by a power problem (bad ground, corroded connectors, etc.), and that issue needs to be fixed before headlight upgrades will be beneficial.

The HID lamps are excellent, but I'd consider (after getting the current lights to perform) the problem I see in many vehicles, and that is the aiming of headlights. I use Sylvania (halogen) SilverStar II in my coach, and they're pretty good - when aimed by trial and error. Most aiming machines don't consider the excellent cutoff of the SilverStars, and aim them too short. The SS IIs are quite good.

Nevertheless, I'm considering another upgrade to Hellas, that are drop-in replacements.

StreetSide's website is a mess, and I can't find the other lamps, nor do I remember if these are hi-lo or hi only. Googling for Hellas is awful, as competitiors' websites are also wretched.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I tackled this issue on my Breakaway and basically the voltage to the head lamps is very low due to the many connectors, switches and possibly ground issues. I added a relay in the low beam circuit (there is one in the high beam, circuit already) and that greatly increased the light output. I also added Hella lights(actually did this before the relay mod.

Certainly there may be difference between the Regency and the Breakaway but there has been a number of people that have complained about this.

Here is the link to my write up about this mod:
Brighter head lights

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
I have seen this done with other coaches and the voltage went from less than 12v at the headlights to over 14v after the relay upgrade.

Real easy to do, it's on the list of things to do on my barth.

Here is a link to one I have used

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/32546768

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I'm considering another upgrade to Hellas, that are drop-in replacements.

On the US 4 X 6 hi/lo they might not be exactly drop in. Or at least not plug 'n play. If you go European on the hi/lo units, be aware that the H4 terminals are often clocked differently than OEM.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

any suggestions for us Old Round light folks?

I try to keep the night time driving to a minimum, but when I have to I would like to see as much as possible.

tx
John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I use Sylvania (halogen) SilverStar II in my coach, and they're pretty good

Yeah, I've used them, but on my long-trip motorcycle, have switched to an Osram H4 bulb, which is an improvement, even though they seem to come from the same source.

There is a difference between Sylvania and Osram Silverstars. The Sylvania seem bluer, and tire me out more on long night motrocycle rides, especially in areas where alertness for fauna is required. After switching to Osram Silverstar, there seems to be less glare and I see better. I think the blue tint of the Sylvania Silverstars gives an illusion of clarity that is not borne out in reality.

My unscientific Botts Dots reflector counting indicates they are of equal brightness, with perhaps a slight edge to the Osram. When riding in wooded areas, keeping an eye out for deer (who are not looking at me), I give the edge to the Osram, as it seems that there is a little more depth to what I see beside the road. With the Sylvania, everything seems flat, like a set in a stage production or something like that. If the deer is looking at me, both Sylvania and Osram seem to pick up the eyes equally well, although this is just observation, as it is difficult to be objective, considering the suddenness and briefness of the encounter, as well as the variations of conditions each time. The Osram also seems better at detecting black angus cattle in open range country.

As far as looking straight down an open flat paved road, the difference is not as noticeable. The Osram's advantage seems to be in discerning animals and pedestrians on the side of the road with a vegetation background.

However, my elderly, lens-assisted eyes might be different than others. One riding friend who has had Lasik really hates the Sylvania, and loves the Osram. His preference for the Osram is much stronger than mine. Says MUCH less glare. I know of no one who has actually used both and does not prefer the Osram. I have loaned mine out for short forest test rides, and the response was always positive.

Another good source for the Osram, as well as other good bulbs is http://www.powerbulbs.com/prod....asp?cat1=39&cat2=23

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Here is some info that maybe of some use...
Osram and Sylvania are the same company.. Owned by Siemens...
The Silverstar run at a different temp ( 4000k) vrs 3500k for the other halagons which is why they appear different color.
There is a tradeoff as the rated life of Silverstar are appx. 1/2 of the other halagon products.
I think they may have come out with a product that increased the life of the Silverstar with the better light output and is called something like... Xtravision... probably more costly...

Here is the link.

http://www.sylvania.com/Consum.../Halogen/default.htm

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
any suggestions for us Old Round light folks?

I've not seen any upgrade replacements for the old round duals.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
There are lots of quad round replacements available.

I use Hella, Marchal, Carello, Autoroche and Cibie on a coupla Jags with round headlights. All are good. The lows (or hi/lo) use either an H4 or H1 lamp and the highs use an H1. The best set up is all H1. The European market BMWs used them.

The French Cibie is worth the extra money if you do problem night driving. The Brazilian ones are to be avoided.

Susquehanna Motor Sports and Classic Garage have Hella 5.75 rounds, and Daniel Stern and Aardvark have Cibies, to name a few. Carellos are great, but hard to find and overpriced. Same for Marchal, sadly.

In reality, round lights are an advantage. Until recent computer-designed reflectors, it was much easier to design a good round reflector and lens than a rectangular one.

One physical advantage of the round design is that you can adapt a round driving light to fit into the high beam bezel. I used a pair of Carello driving light glass units that were just a little under 5.75" OK. It just took an aluminum ring and some silicone rubber and they looked like they belonged.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Another thought here.......If you are only unhappy with your high beams, consider a good set of driving lights. They are pretty easy to mount on a Barth.

If you are inclined toward round driving lights, the Hella 500 is a decent value, as are the 4537 landing light-based units sold in off road stores. If you want to go really crazy with a 7 inch diameter driving light, look at a 4545 landing/marine spot unit in a universal mount or a big Hella FF.

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
... or a big Hella FF.
On an unrelated note... It appears that my "trigger word filter" is working rather well. Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
That went right over my head.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Think about it for a few minutes Bill. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Think about it for a few minutes Bill. Smiler

Still over my head. Frowner