Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

old wood
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted
I am not a carpenter. The interior wood in the old girl is great but it has aged and faded. Can someone recommend a source for expertise on maybe bringing this back to life? I think there must be a better way to match the stain that just looking at the cans in Home Depot. Coat with urethane or just sand and stain?

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First: Buy a can of Tung Oil at Home Depot/Ace and spread liberally; massage it in; wipe clean within 10 minutes. "Buff" with cotton rag/towel/shirt (don't let it dry completely). This should restore most color. Follow with furniture polish.
If the finish is literally worn away this won't work.

Posts: 23 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 09-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I had some stains under the counter area from spilled stuff. I lightly sanded the areas and rubbed in Tung oil. Maybe not perfect, but a whole lot better.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Restoring "old wood?" Don't they have pills to help with that?

Couldn't help myself ROTFLMAO Sorry

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Restoring "old wood?" Don't they have pills to help with that?

haha man I can't quit laughing!

I used steel wool with a little paint thinner, buffed it down than lightly stained with a matching color. Then top that off with wipe on poly. Turned out great. Not much work.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Keith, if you have good solid wood or good wood
Veneer, like walnut or cherry, just light sand with the grain then use a good clear satin or glossy polyurethene self leveling outdoor finish. If you have wood or veneer, the color will be in the wood, will give the wood natural wood color without stain. Be careful about sanding if on veneer because it is not very thick.
Good luck on your project. I did my floor and front cabinets this way.

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post