Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

wife wants me to add slide-out
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Ok i have to respond to this. WARNING!!!!! If Walker Coach is the same Walker Coach that is owned by Sam Walker you might want to do a google search on him or go to one of the bus boards like MAK and search there. A couple of years ago he was convicted and served time in prison for fraud and theft from customers who gave him large down payments on coaches or work to be done and then never delivered. He has a nice looking website but you will notice that all of the pictures are old. Also one of the things he did was to have pictures of coaches the did not belong to him or that he was not working on but passed them off as part of his business. BUYER BEWARE! He might have cleaned up his act since he got out, but i would be very careful.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If your interior is anything like mine, the fresh water pump and intake lines are under the sofa as are the autofill valve and bypass. Redoing the plumbing may be dicey.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Ok i have to respond to this. WARNING!!!!! If Walker Coach is the same Walker Coach that is owned by Sam Walker you might want to do a google search on him or go to one of the bus boards like MAK and search there. A couple of years ago he was convicted and served time in prison for fraud and theft from customers who gave him large down payments on coaches or work to be done and then never delivered. He has a nice looking website but you will notice that all of the pictures are old. Also one of the things he did was to have pictures of coaches the did not belong to him or that he was not working on but passed them off as part of his business. BUYER BEWARE! He might have cleaned up his act since he got out, but i would be very careful.
I read the same Thing about Mr. Walker.

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Good Slide-Out article:

Curtis
RV Slide Out Guide - The Pros & Cons Of RV Slideouts
All it takes is a walk through an RV equipped with multiple slide out room extensions and you’ll be ready to sign on the dotted line and make one your own.

The feeling of openness and the ability to have more than one person standing in the RV's living room at a time will dismiss that closed-in feeling instantly.

A bedroom slideout is probably the most desired slideout of all because the bedrooms inside RVs are notorious for being cramped.

Having lived full time in RVs for over 3 years, the extra space provided with multiple slideouts really makes the difference between simply existing and living comfortably.

However, as with all things, there are some trade-offs when you choose a super deluxe model RV with huge wall expansions. For instance, there are some times where the slideouts create more problems than they’re worth!

For Starters:

* If you spend most of your RV time parked, then a slide out is the greatest invention to come down the pike.

* On the other hand, if you're more mobile, driving down the road every day or so, then there are a number of reasons to give slideouts a second thought.

Using Slide-Outs When Parked Temporarily

Many people who like to spend the night in a Walmart parking lot (or someplace similar) go by the theory that making yourself look like you’ve taken root is a bad idea. They believe you should leave your slideouts retracted during those times that you're parked temporarily.

WARNING: Not All Walmarts Allow Overnight Parking

I can see their point, but I tend to disagree. Many RVs are rendered pretty much useless when the walls are sucked it. With barely the ability to get from one end to the other, you might as well open out your bed roll on the pavement if you can’t open things up inside the RV!

Ease of operation makes opening and closing a slideout simply a matter of pressing a switch in most cases. I just don’t see what the big deal is about using slideouts -- no matter how long you're parked! Open up and be comfortable, if you ask me.

A Funny Story...

I will say that you’ll draw more attention to yourself when you have a 37-foot fifth wheel all stretched out in the parking lot of the local truck stop though.

A few years back we spent the night at the Travel Centers of America truck stop in Albert Lee, Minnesota. We ate in their restaurant then retired to our triple slide RV home, which we had opened up to its full glory.

To minimize our sprawl we parked our second car (a small Ford Festiva) under our living room slideout.

By about 10 p.m. the local Constable was knocking on our door politely asking just how long we planned on staying there. Keep in mind, there were about 7-8 other rigs spending the night in the parking lot too. But ours was obviously the biggest and consumed the most space.

After we assured him that we would be gone by 6 a.m., we got a good night's sleep. We knew full well that we could button up shop in about 5 minutes time and be gone in the morning. It really looked worse than it was.

We had to open up the slide-out just to function inside our RV trailer. But not to worry, those parked close by without slideouts were able to quietly go about their business without any interference from us.

Before You Open Up The Slide Outs
When you have slideouts, you need to check each campsite before you sign up to stay there.

You need to know if there might be a tree that will block the slideout, or a post that might be in the way (like that post which holds the utility hookups).

There are many RV campgrounds from the pre-slideout era. Some simply can't accommodate what amounts to a double wide rig.

RV Slideout Maintenance Issues
You should also consider the mechanics of slideout room extensions. They are not always trouble free. There’s a lot to be said about the more gadgets one has, the more things will fail. Pounding down rough roads and enduring many highway miles... things like that take their toll on RV slideouts.

It doesn't matter if yours is a slideout that extends with electric screw type extenders, or one that is pushed in and out by hydraulic rams -- even those that have electric gear motors that follow a track can -- and will -- fail at one time or another.

Many slideouts will have manual ways to retract the slide, while others can leave you stuck with your walls out. That's not a good spot to be in if you're on someone else’s property and they’re anxious for you to leave!

Things don’t stay new forever. As your RV ages, the slides may start to bind. Things get out of adjustment. Motors lose some of their power. For whatever reason, there were many times I had to take out the hand crank and bring in the slide that last inch or so by hand.

Did you know that slideouts are the leading source of RV water leaks? As the rubber seals around the perimeter age and get stiff, they can allow rain water to seep in. With the slideout either in or out, you're relying on a rubber seal to keep the water out.

My experience with slideouts confirms the fact that as the slideout gets older, things will twist, warp, and otherwise get out of shape. Cracks may develop, hardware and mechanical devices may fail, and adjustments will have to be made. Things will get stiff and need lubrication.

I’ve seen RVs that have the complete kitchen mounted in a slideout -- with gas and water and waste lines made in a way that will allow them to go in and out when you set up camp. That's not my idea of a good solid method of construction -- too many moving parts.

Lately, a number of luxury motorhomes have been designed with super large slideouts that take up practically the whole side of the RV. Call me old fashioned, but I question the long term structural integrity of such a design. They look great inside, but how long will they hold up?

Are Slideouts In Your Future?

Each individual is different in terms of what they consider acceptable.

If you don’t mind a little hands-on effort on your part, and the extra space inside your RV is high on your wish list, then an RV with slideouts might be just the thing for you.

Be sure to give it some thought ahead of time though, because all that extra space will probably require some attention later on down the road. There is trade-off, no matter how you look at it.

In my opinion, slideouts are nice -- but only if you stop a lot and for long periods of time. Otherwise, they tend to cramp the interior space of your RV quite a bit while you're driving.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Just a couple of notes to those who one day will trade in their Barth's for a newer coach with slides.

Do not get a floorplan with no access to the engine. Some of these newer coaches are literally built around the engine with absolutely no room to get to engine components. A slideout in a bedroom will almost certainly guarantee this. No access covers inside literally means that it is an automatic tow for even a basic coolant leak.

When parked at a NASCAR track, or similar high congestion area, your slideouts makes it impossible to park within your designated area. I've seen 2 slideout coaches park next to each other and by the end of the weekend they were literally kicking the crap out of each other. Make sure you know the layout of the site as buying a second slot might be the only way to go.

In regards to the slideouts long term durability. I can tell you I've chased many of failed slideouts and the vast majority are bound up and then overstressed to the point of a complete burnout. I've seen fires and blown hydraulic lines ruin interior items. Rainwater leakage is a big concern too.

Get a floorplan that allows access to everything with the slides in. You need to maneuver when parked or even use the bathroom while underway.

When using the outside storage areas, make sure that you can access everything with the slides out. I've seen several coaches that make accessing these areas almost impossible.

When using a slideout you should always use the rubber foam snakes around the edges. It really is needed. The first time you say "Ah, I don't need it", you'll be getting stitches.

I've seen some coaches with awnings attached to the main structure become useless when you use a slideout. No room for you to fit under it because more than half of it is covering the room.

I've seen awnings get torn up on the edges when the slideout rips the fabric.

Just make sure when you do move up... you keep these items in mind before you purchase your next coach. A little foresight will save you aggravation in the future.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
I concur with Corey's statements 110%. Yes, they sure do look pretty parked there in the RV lot, or in the park, however, I prefer the intregity that I know is in my Barth.

If you talk to any side out owner, they all have a story to tell. They do render the interior pretty much useless, or at least difficult, unless the slides are deployed. And, as Corey mentioned, LEAKS. Also, for some reason, the little awning thing that comes out on the top has a VERY short life expectancy (at least here in Florida) our good friends 5th wheel must replace the awning thing every 2-3 years, he is a handy guy, but he curses that job.

Budweiser has a Prevost here (Fort Myers) and it is ALWAYS parked close to I-75, so whenever we head to the Harley shop, we pass by it. It is surely a beauty. It is parked at an RV repair place (for well over 1 year now, that I have noticed) perhaps longer than that. There is a slide that is always in the extended position, and, it always has a tarp over the awning part. I keep wondering about that. If Budweiser can't keep it running.......not sure that's the issue, but it is never parked at their distribution center, and I never see it at any of the local events......makes you wonder though.

Personally, no slides for me.

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
As we travel around to races, GTG's, Reunions and business events we see two kinds of coaches - the slide out Prevost, Newell, Marathons and then the others with slide outs, and those who go to meet new friends, commune with like minded travelers who have simple coaches, trailers and Class C's. The first group are rarely seen outside and hardly ever participate i the "camping" experience. The others live mostly outside with their neighbors and fellow travelers and seem to have more enjoyment. IF you basically travel to set up in a plush living area each night, or for short term then it is way less expensive to use resorts, hotels and vacation homes. IF you want to enjoy the meeting of new people, tell sea stories and have the joy of living basically outdoors then the smaller and more basic coach is well worth the investment. RV's like boats and airplanes require regular maintenance and will always have one or more "issues". As the coach grows in size and complexity you become "paved road bound" and cannot access unlevel sites, primitive parks that have little spots and you are basically just driving your hotel suite around. The rigidity of the monocoque structure of the Barth certainly will survive an accident when others fail and will fit almost anywhere. We see many slide equipped coaches parked, unable to extend their slides because they require a flat, stable parking area. For the investment you will find it much less expensive to sell your coach and buy something already built and with current prices now will be the best deal. Us, we get used to the room in the coach and really like the simplicity of the "bus".

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Well said, Tom. There are times when I just want to chill, and that's ok for anyone. The bed in our 28' Regal is just as comfortable as the one at home, the tv is just as bright, Tere is just as beautiful, and the beer is just as cold. What more can one ask for?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Tom K ,,,,,well stated, true spirit!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
As we travel around to races, GTG's, Reunions and business events we see two kinds of coaches - the slide out Prevost, Newell, Marathons and then the others with slide outs, and those who go to meet new friends, commune with like minded travelers who have simple coaches, trailers and Class C's. The first group are rarely seen outside and hardly ever participate in the "camping" experience. The others live mostly outside with their neighbors and fellow travelers and seem to have more enjoyment.

We have noticed exactly the same thing. We also notice that the Prevosts, etc, stay in one place for a much shorter stay.

And, as we sit sipping our morning tea, watching the sun burn off the frost, we see that they don't have campfires at night or walk their dogs farther than 30 ft from the coach. And very few of them have patio awnings, which would indicate a lack of interest in things outside the coach.

And, you never see bicycles on the back of a Prevost.

And their water heaters are stinky and noisy. Mad

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
HERE is a place that will install a 34 1/2" slide out for about a grand per foot of length.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim, how about a full tank of fuel? Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that would be nice, particularly in your case Big Grin. What's your tank capacity--100 gallons?
Jim
BTW I still have a picture of your MCI in a conspicuous place. Maybe I'll have one in a parrallel universe Click
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She holds 144 gallons but the most i have ever put in is 110 gallons. I start looking for fuel at 600-700 miles even though i can go 900-1000 miles if i had to.

Picture of Jim_Rockford007
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to install a Leak?

Posts: 43 | Location: Auburndale,Fla | Member Since: 03-23-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post