Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Login now/Join our community

Picture of Crazyshakespeare13
posted
Can some please help me identify what model Barth this is? I know the year is a 75

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Barth didn't name models in '75. There should be a data tag inside, usually on the wall behind the driver's seat which contains the build code for the coach. It would be in the format of 75##-####-### or similar.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
The data tag on my '75 Barth is located under the window 0n the drivers side.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
On our 1977 the tag is just inside the door on the right hand side as you go in.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have got to love the custom nature of these Barths, each one unique to themselves.

My question is, since there were no model names in 75 and I have no documents with it, how should I go about learning the different systems and wiring etc?

Sorry if that is an complete beginners questions but I want to do things the right way with her!

Thanks for all the info guys!

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyshakespeare13:
You have got to love the custom nature of these Barths, each one unique to themselves.

Man, you got that right! That is one of the challenges with maintaining these things, there is so much variation from one to another. Like you, I got no Barth info with my coach. GM chassis wiring is standard P30 stuff but the Barth wiring is really variable. (Some coaches were made with all the wires the same color: red!) Fortunately, the Barth stuff was usually very well made. The appliances can be researched here and on the manufacturer's sites.

I like your paint job with the curves on the side panels. (like mine) I wonder if it was repainted... I haven't seen that pattern except on 85-86 coaches.

Somewhere along the line the Class A gas coaches became "Regals" maybe early 80's when they started building diesel pushers. The DPs are usually Regency or Breakaway models. (with an occasional Regis or Royale!)

If you can, let us know what you find as you work on your coach. The more info we get here the easier it is for the next guy. Above all, enjoy yourself as you get your coach road ready and maybe we'll see you at a GTG! cheers

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Decided to go ahead and have all new tires put on her before bringing her home (she's been sitting for yrs according to the seller)

We pick her up Monday, so I expect to have pics posted late that night or early Tuesday. Im sure I will have tons of questions and will def. be hitting up the forum for the advice!

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyshakespeare13:
Decided to go ahead and have all new tires put on her before bringing her home (she's been sitting for yrs according to the seller)

Very wise move! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Pick up a spare set of belts and hoses, too, and have the engine oil/filter changed. mechanic

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great call Rusty! Thanks for the advice!

Posts: 27 | Location: Austin | Member Since: 01-01-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I joined the Barth family last August when I bought an 85 28' Regal. (1st RV) Transmission gave out in 60 miles. Still have not spent night in it but now I am ready for the life of an RVer as soon as it warms a little. I have changed transmission, 2 starters, 2 fuel pumps (both warranty), belts, air bags, frontend rubber and damper, Fan clutch, air compressor, shrouds, and lots of little stuff. I got it for something to take up my time and for a hobby. Just thought it more rving and less hobby but still I am glad I got it. It has cost me less than a newer one would have cost.

Posts: 39 | Location: Amarillo, TX | Member Since: 10-19-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Campsey:
I joined the Barth family last August when I bought an 85 28' Regal. I have changed transmission, 2 starters, 2 fuel pumps (both warranty), belts, air bags, frontend rubber and damper, Fan clutch, air compressor, shrouds, and lots of little stuff.

Sounds like you have paid your dues. You seem to have a practical attitude... when you buy something mechanical that is over 25 yrs old, you will have some up front investment in time and money to get it right. Once you go through that it should give you a good return on your troubles, as we say here you can fix these coaches faster than they break. mechanic

Good luck with your coach, I think the more you use it the more you'll appreciate it. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
I think we got off lucky, she's in the shop now but for 74 with only 25000 miles and having sat for the last 8 yrs or so the only damage was a leak in the exhaust manifold, popped airbags, a busted tail light and a few running lights out. After I get her home in the next couple of days, just need to fix a couple of roof leaks and then start figuring out all the custom gauges and switches the previous owner installed. Hope to post pics soon as well! Love these machines!

Posts: 27 | Location: Austin | Member Since: 01-01-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post