Tools
Reply To This Topic

Major redos
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Ed,
This fall I began researching an upgrade that would lower the EGT's on our 8.3. It turns out that the engines major issue is that it simply cannot breath. According to the turbo calculator on the BD Diesel website, the 8.3 requires well over 1,000 CFM but the Holset only produces around 425 CFM. I bolted on a Borg Warner SV366 from BD Diesel Performance who specially modified exhaust flange to adapt to the existing exhaust flange/brake. The result was EGT's dropping from 1,350 to 1,050, fuel mileage is now consistently over 10 mpg, up from 8. The fuel plate is now a number 5 which brings the H.P. to around 460, and torque near 1,000 lb/ft, Max EGT's 1,150. We have put over 5,000 miles on with this setup with absolutely no issues. I was able to adjust the off-idle and medium range fuel to accomplish a near smoke-free acceleration.

Billy T

You can call me if you would like the details

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 374 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Thanks Billy, do you recall what your turbo boost pressure was before and what it is now after mods?

I have the 5.9l but issues are similar! Throttle plates can make a world of difference for sure. I am in the process of turbo evaluation now. I was going to advance the timing but it is way to hard on the engine and I would probably blow a head gasket unless I changed to ARP headbolts. Cylinder pressures go thru the roof.

I will probably run this engine out and replace it with a 6.7L or maybe a built 24 valve common rail engine. 8.3L is just a bit longer and a lot heavier!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Billy those mods sound interesting. I will be in NE Texas last week of Jan, then heading around the gulf to Florida. We will try to stop in to see you on our way through.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Billy

That mod sounds great. Ours runs great but not a mountain climber. Would like to discuss the upgrade.

Ed

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Hey all,
The boost was 24 stock, 30 Banks Stinger & I estimate 40 or so now. My boost gauge tops off at 30 but before the next trip I will temporarily mount a 60 pounder to check it out. From what I was reading on the Marine blogs, it should be 40 - 45 PSI. I set the timing on 12 BTDC when I had the head off a few years ago to mill out the broken exhaust manifold bolts.

On our last trip we encountered a long steep grade, the one where they add a truck lane, actually accelerated up the grade, EGT peaking at just under 1,150.

Steve, Helen got your message today. Please gives us as many days notice that you can. We have hookups at work and three extra full hookups at the farm, would be great to see you guys again!

Billy T

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

billynhelen@me.com
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 374 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks Billy. We are looking at Jan 29-30 or 30-31 whichever is best for you. Looking forward to the visit!

It sounds like you went through the exhaust bolt job a while back. We did not pull the head for mine, the poor guy drillled and tapped 9 bolts with the head in place! confusion A job for a masochistic contortionist for sure.

Hope to see you soon! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Billy curious where you located the EGT sensor, did you also rep[lace the exhaust manifold with a 2 or 3 piece style?

Thanks

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Ed, I always measure EGT's just before the turbo. I did have to replace the exhaust manifold but went back with the stock Cummins unit but I did take the Dremel to the ports to match them to the cylinder head. I wasn't sure how a multi-section manifold would perform with an exhaust brake developing 60 PSI of back pressure. The manifold was so pitted that it would not have sealed for very long, we had already replaced a couple of individual gaskets. The cylinder head surface was just as bad so I had the machine shop perform a valve job a mill all surfaces, they did an outstanding job.

I measured the maximum boost pressure today at 40 PSI.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

billynhelen@me.com