Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tail light refurbishment
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My wife and I have an 88 regal with the typical pink lenses. Pulled the lenses and found that the housing had some cracks. Made the decision to remove them and fix them up cause there are no similar replacements. I found out that the lights can't really be disassembled. Cut the wires and I'll just resolved them. Used a plastic welder to fill and seal cracks. I'm going to paint the insides of the housing silver to help with reflecting the light. Painted the lenses with vht red tint for tail lights. Then I'll probably finish painting the housings either black or metal Gray like the rest of our barth.

Posts: 29 | Location: Prince William County, VA | Member Since: 10-25-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2nd coat

Posts: 29 | Location: Prince William County, VA | Member Since: 10-25-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3rd

posted Hide Post
Back lit by flashlight

posted Hide Post
Vht paint

posted Hide Post
Housings after plastic welding. Bulbs melted quite a bit of the interior.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Nice job on those lenses! Thumbs Up

I would strongly suggest this is the time to switch to LED lights. Brighter, lower current and they won't fry the housings.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind if you switch to LEDs you need to rewire your cruise control. I switched to LED headlights and some markers. I might change to LED in tail light but not brake lite.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cruise doesn't work. I did find some loose wires behind the driver light housing. I have switched out all the other lights except for the headlights to LED. For now just gonna finish these and reinstall. Still contemplating reriveting them or putting nutserts in and fasten them with screws/bolts.

posted Hide Post
Painted black

posted Hide Post
All painted, now to rewire then to barth.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Wow!! Looks like a new one!! Great workmanship!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I don't know how to adjust the pics to under that size.

Finished the lights. I didn't want to rivet the housing back on. Tried nutserts but they didn't work as I had hoped. Guess I'll just rivet them back and all done.

One weird thing I found was with the driver side light. Found that the outer light was wired directly to the inner light. Wires for the inner light were present and when tested had voltage. Removed the jumpers from the outer to inner lights and hooked up the old wires back to the light. Hopefully this will also solve the issue with cruise control being inoperable.

posted Hide Post
This is just with the headlights on at dusk.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Very nice improvement

Always want folks behind you to know what you are doing!

Interesting note DBarth had them vertical.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post