Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Hello All, Many Upgrades in the Works.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hello All, Many Upgrades in the Works.
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of KD8PHD
posted
Hello,

I purchased the 1973 28' that was listed for sale by Gene Dakin. I have owned this unit for 3 months now. I have been working usually 5 days a week on this unit. To date the major improvements have been: Getting it running-still working on this factor. Major mods to the interior. Stripping and polishing the exterior. I am open to provide any information, parts and ect to those looking. For more information or images see- www.lormsey.com

Posts: 6 | Location: CMH | Member Since: 04-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Nice work. What are your eventual plans? Will you live in it or tour full time? I ask because it is unusual to see a freezer installed. Keep up the great effort!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow. I have some exterior paint work to do, but nothing of that magnitude. The last time I saw so much bare aluminum was when we painted my airplane (36 ft wingspan) and it was in pieces, i.e. wings, tail, hull, cowls. That is a massive project. Your coach is looking very nice (almost resurrected in time for Easter!) good luck

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site. Coach is looking real good.

Do you have a tag on your coach that bears a resemblance to one these?

We are looking for the sequence of numbers that look like this. 7307 1381 MC25

Could you tell me a little bit more about your SKYLIGHT?

We've seen large skylights in a magazine article for the trailers for 1969. But, if it's original, it would be the first time on a coach.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KD8PHD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Moonbeam-Express

Hello,

First thanks. The reason for the freezer is because of its versatility. It is an "Edge Star", I believe but am 100%. It is able to maintain a temp between -8 and 50. I assume that I will use a standard cooler most of the time, but if I want to freeze items and then have them warm to standard temp this is a benefit to me. It runs on 12v as well as 110. I plan to camp on the weekends. Once I am completed you may see this back on the market however.

Thanks,
Mike

Posts: 6 | Location: CMH | Member Since: 04-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KD8PHD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill N.Y.

The sky light. It has been repaired and has a large epoxy spot on the rear drivers side. It also leaks. As for original? The roof spars are near to what would be the side. It is a double bubble similar to what is described in your article. As for the information tag, I have yet to find it. You may have more information then I do at this point.
Thanks,
Mike

Picture of KD8PHD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve VW

You are telling me, I am on my second buffer. I have used 3 gallons of Aircraft Stripper and still have one side and the rear to go. My work plane is a 62 Az-Truck. Started out with high hopes and lots of bravado. Worn out from all the stripping and polishing but think it may pay off. I have been really lucky with Al below. Once I get a decent base it will be time to decide what the next step will be. At this point I am shooting for Easter 2012.

Thanks,
Mike

Picture of KD8PHD
posted Hide Post
Some more info:

Regarding appliances. I have decided to attempt to go all electric. I will have the ability to cook and heat water using propane. I have setups for heat, hot water, and cooking off of propane. Please let me know if you would like more info. The electric cooking appliances have been some of my biggest budget items. I am using Waring Pro, both the induction cook top and convection oven. I have had good luck using them in typical home applications.

I have new upholstery for all of the foam; both dinettes and couch. This has by far been the biggest expense, but provides a nice look and is comfortable.

The bathroom is gutted currently. The plan is to use FPS and to place glass mosaic tile on the floor. It will remain a wet bath and will be used as little as possible. I removed the storage cabinets that were previously next to the bathroom to enlarge its size. The bathroom will have a new built in vanity with a granite counter top and new vanity.

The bunks and tables were refinished using a cherry laminate. This is the same laminate that may be seen in the counter top next to the chest freezer. The area where the chest freezer is located was once a wardrobe and also housed the refrigerator. I decided to go this route to add more counter space and open up the area.

The cab area has not been touched. I want to tackle that aspect last as it may interrupt my ability to drive the unit. Also all of the power plant issues have yet to be worked out. Keeping this unfinished will allow for messes until the engine is up to snuff.

I have learned a good deal of what not to do so any and all questions are welcome.

-Mike