Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    18" LED Tube Replacement, 700 Lumens, T8 Base, $37.66
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

18" LED Tube Replacement, 700 Lumens, T8 Base, $37.66
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Is this a good price??

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/...cement-p/18-0574.htm

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
I would think it would very much depend on how much you use the fixture. Fluorescent lights are naturally energy efficient and at that price it seems very unlikely to save you money. I have a bunch of fluorescents in my SOB but only use them short periods of time when I need a lot of light as I much prefer the soft golden glow of my smaller more focused incandescent lights. It may be some time before I replace any of those with LED because so far LED's don't even come close to that golden glow I like.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madrone:
I would think it would very much depend on how much you use the fixture. Fluorescent lights are naturally energy efficient and at that price it seems very unlikely to save you money. I have a bunch of fluorescents in my SOB but only use them short periods of time when I need a lot of light as I much prefer the soft golden glow of my smaller more focused incandescent lights. It may be some time before I replace any of those with LED because so far LED's don't even come close to that golden glow I like.
I had an acrylic smell which is scary no matter where.I found a burnt out ballast.This is reason-1-led lights have come a long way as of mellow.-2-Much lower draw.-3-doesnt make sense not to upgrade to the better and safer at the opportune time.Wally 34ft monarch.Van-isle

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I am going to do this when I get back. I am having a few lights with ballast problems, can not buy the same fixture so the cutout may not fit. I was looking at getting new ballast or buying lights and striping the ballast out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SAMPQrAu0aI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMPQrAu0aI

HOW TO: Convert Fluorescent RV Lights to LEDs

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madrone:
It may be some time before I replace any of those with LED because so far LED's don't even come close to that golden glow I like.

I felt the same way. I found these bulbs in warm white. I put them in my reading lights and they are really nice. The old frosted bulbs draw over 2 amps and get HOT. The LEDs draw .110 amp and never get hot. Nice and bright with pleasant "color."

I haven't found drop-in replacements I like for the fluorescents yet. I did put in warm white tubes in some fixtures (bathroom) and they are more pleasant.

http://www.superbrightleds.com...lbs/led-product/394/

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I bought a bunch of the 18" lites from a CoilnWrap vendor at a rally, got a discounted price over the listed price. Really like the ratchet feature these have that allows you to direct the lite to where you want it to shine. Google them to see what they have. I yanked out the ballast in my fixtures and found that using just one of these lites put out more lite than two of the old tubes.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I just installed LED in two floresent fixtures that were bad. Also LEDs in the shower. I purchased a roll of LEDs off ebay for about $15. I still have a bunch left so going to use some to put turn signal indicator on the golf cart.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post