Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    The Remodel Begins On the 84 Royale
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Remodel Begins On the 84 Royale
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted
Hello all. What is the best way to attach new paneling to the ribs? I have started putting my bathroom and bedroom back together after tearing out all the rot. I insulated with foamboard and filled the gaps with great stuff. I still have to scrap down the excess but I am almost ready to put panels.
Oh and would you move the plumbing that runs right across the middle of the floor to the edge of the walls or just leave it and build the bed frame around it? Thanks

Oh and no Ole Squishy is not the official name of the RV. Just a hateful temporary name my wife gave it after it leaked rain and toilet water all over the back of the coach when we took a quick trip in it to get an MRI just after we purchased it. Sure, it ruined the blanket on the bed and maybe her favorite pair of socks and I swear for all the world smelled like a fish dumpster that had been in the sun for a month and was so bad we had to sleep on the convertible couch in the front of the coach, which was very comfortable I have to say. (Guess the fresh toilet water that was leaking around the bottom and up under the 80s yellow carpet reactivated the already present disaster the previous owner had included with the RV for no extra cost).

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Nice! That is similar to what I have done in some of my walls. Makes a BIG difference in heat retention.

My bathroom had paneling attached to the ribs. I cut holes in the paneling, glued in the foam and flush mounted the cutouts back in with cleats from behind. I glued laminate over the surface.

In the living area I was down to bare ribs like yours. I used 1/4" oak veneer plywood for the walls. I cut the plywood to fit and secured the edges with #6 flush stainless screws, hidden behind the trim. The panel was only 32" tall and in the center of the wall a cabinet is screwed through the paneling into a rib. I did not attach to the other ribs.

You are off to a good start! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Steve used trim to cover the screws. Barth used snap covers. Below is a picture of the snap covers.There are four Barth button snaps. Look near the furnace outlets.

I used the button snaps here to keep Barth character. I also wanted to be able to remove the cover and vacuum out the furnace. Furnaces in most motor homes do NOT have filters. When I did the change floor the furnace had 30 years of dust in it. The button screw covers will permit me to clean the furnace occasionally. I used automotive body filler or “Bondo” to cover the other screws in the cabinet. Some of the screws were filled in with “Ardex” floor leveler. Time will tell which will last. I suspect the movement of the Barth bouncing down the highway will pop out all but the button covers.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would you guys do about the plumbing? If I move it to the outer edge I can run new pex and have more room under the bed for storage I think.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
At this point considering the easy access I would be inclined to reroute out of the way. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your right Steve. I guess I will pick up some pex tonight and a few poly adapters and see if I can figure out the mess. I feel like all this remodel should go under one thread. I am sure I will have lots of questions on interior and motor as well.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Jamie and Paul. Yes change the piping like Steve says. Thumbs Up I also suggest using bend supports not elbows. There is less chance for leaks and better water flow. Mechanic Look around maybe you can put a recirculation system in the hot line. Mechanic I did and now have instant hot everywhere. It gives me more hot water because the pipe holds water.
I think this thread for the remodel is perfect since it starts with your gutted pictures. Change the title and you are ready for the upgrade postings.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Jamie and Paul. Yes change the piping like Steve says. Thumbs Up I also suggest using bend supports not elbows. There is less chance for leaks and better water flow. Mechanic Look around maybe you can put a recirculation system in the hot line. Mechanic I did and now have instant hot everywhere. It gives me more hot water because the pipe holds water.
I think this thread for the remodel is perfect since it starts with your gutted pictures. Change the title and you are ready for the upgrade postings.
How does one change the title? Would be happy to but can't seem to figure out how.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Just go back to your first post in the thread and hit the edit/delete button. You can edit the body of the message, but you can also change the title at the top, edit attachments, add or remove signature, etc.

Good thread. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
Well I haven't been a complete slacker, I managed to get a few things half done.
I did get some carpet put in just not on the cover. still not sure if I am going to reuse or rebuild a new one yet.

New Carpet

posted Hide Post
And I got a new curtain track put up

posted Hide Post
Oh and I did manage to get some plywood up

posted Hide Post
And one more of insulated curtains I sewed, I made 4 two on each side but I have only got two put up. The fabric is like sunbrella fabric, very thick and UV resistant. The insulation is The Warm Company Warm Window Insulated Shade Lining, that's a mouth full. Came from Joann Fabrics. The first sewing machine was just not up to the task so I had to get another one and it really wasn't either but mostly got the job done, both were singers and the last one was an HD machine, thought the HD stood for heavy duty but now I guess it stood for honey dew.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Making nice progress! Mechanic Thumbs Up

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp