Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

generators
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
Looking for some thoughts on generators. I'm going to remove the huge 15kw Onan and replace it with something a bit smaller. I've thought about the Honda 3000i. Good option, but not all that easy to build in. Have two used options, a Generac NP 50g, 0 hrs good price. Also a Onan 4.0 low hrs, also good price although a few hundred more than the Generac. Both the Generac and the Onan are RV models and would be easy to build in to a belly bay. The Generac would do both 110/220 which works well with my transfer switch. I haven't heard either of them. Not sure how loud they are. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shtym:
Looking for some thoughts on generators. I'm going to remove the huge 15kw Onan and replace it with something a bit smaller. I've thought about the Honda 3000i. Good option, but not all that easy to build in.

This is a good one if you want to run a single AC. It can be mounted on slides so it is running in free air, pulled out with your hatch open. They are very quiet and reliable. They run only as fast as needed to produce the power demanded by the load, so can be very very quiet.

quote:
Have two used options, a Generac NP 50g, 0 hrs good price.

Noisy and hard to get parts and service. I have heard a couple that were very well soundproofed by the installer. Look at GMC sites. They use them.

quote:
Also a Onan 4.0 low hrs, also good price although a few hundred more than the Generac.

Depending on the model, can be noisy, requiring good soundproofing. The later ones in their own enclosure are pretty quiet. Service and parts better.

quote:
Both the Generac and the Onan are RV models and would be easy to build in to a belly bay. The Generac would do both 110/220 which works well with my transfer switch.

Do you need the 220 volt feature?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking for some thoughts on generators. I'm going to remove the huge 15kw Onan and replace it with something a bit smaller

Why? Is it having issues or are you trying to get better economy?

Bill's assessments are right on,Hondas are always a first choice. Have you considered leaving the Onan in place and breaking out a smaller circuit package to power off a smaller Honda? Then, when you go to sell the RV, you will have the generator in there that most people want.

I'm guessing this is not a Barth with a 15Kw generator, what are you running?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
I would definitely go with the Onan, even if it is NOT a 4KY. They are reliable, parts and service are everywhere and both can be silenced substantially. Unless the coach has 220 volt equipment, it is not required. You can jumper the transfer switch so both poles are live from the single 30 amp line of the Onan. You do not want to deal with a portable generator in an RV situation. Just my 2% of a dollar.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 373 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts.
I really like the thought of quiet, (3000i) but I don't want to give up the option of running the generator while traveling. Has anyone extended the muffler on a Honda?
The Barth was a medical coach and is actually wired 3 phase. I've already jumpered two legs and configured the genny for single phase 220 which enabled me to put on a 50 amp shore power plug.
I could continue that process but it would be nice to not have to.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I'm still confused if your motivation is a) low noise, b) less fuel usage, c) current generator has issues, d) less complicated wiring e) all of the above or f) some of the above.

It would be very difficult to vent the Honda's exhaust, but people have mounted them off the rear on a rack before. In fact, many Big Rig trucks now use an outside mounted generator to keep their overnighters from idling the truck for power.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I really like the thought of quiet, (3000i) but I don't want to give up the option of running the generator while traveling. Has anyone extended the muffler on a Honda?

You would need more than an exhaust extension. The reason I mentioned slide out mounts is that portable generators need free air.

If you run it in a compartment, you would need a way for both combustion air and cooling air to get in, and a way for cooling air to get out. This could be done with fans. Many people have put the execrable Champion (yes, I have one) in a box to quiet it down and used a fan to assure proper air movement. There is no reason why a Honda 3000 would not respond to that treatment. Air is air.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have the Honda RV-4010 (4KW/120V) in my coach, replacing the propane KohlerKlunker. Very quiet and efficient. Honda also makes a 6KW RV-6010, 120/240V.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you run it in a compartment, you would need a way for both combustion air and cooling air to get in, and a way for cooling air to get out. This could be done with fans. Many people have put the execrable Champion (yes, I have one) in a box to quiet it down and used a fan to assure proper air movement. There is no reason why a Honda 3000 would not respond to that treatment. Air is air.

I would be concerned with exhaust seeping into the living quarters. Don't want to mess with that!

posted Hide Post
My primary reason for removing the existing genny is it's extreme overkill of both size (60X30X32) and power, never mind the weight. It runs great just too much of a good thing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
My primary reason for removing the existing genny is it's extreme overkill of both size (60X30X32) and power, never mind the weight. It runs great just too much of a good thing.

A couple of things you might consider.

I'm guessing you have a large RV as that is a very large genny (same size as my Wanderlodge). This also connotes it is in a diesel pusher so the generator is in the front. If you remove the generator you may have a very unbalanced RV. I removed the 7.5kW Kohler from my old Barth for repairs and thought I was going to do a wheelie when I drove it home. That is half the size of yours.

I'm just recalling you said your rig was a med lab, so maybe none of this is relevant, but it is still a good lesson to remember if it applies.

The next thing to consider is using batteries and inverters to store the excess generator made power. I agree, it is silly to run a 15kW to make coffee, but if your able to do that through an inverter then charge it up with the generator it is more sensible to run the big genny.

posted Hide Post
It's a 33' gasser 454 P something as it's called occasionally. Genny is all the way in the rear across the back. The compartment would make a great trunk. The handling I think, should improve. The only thing I would need the power for would be AC while traveling. Everthing else can be handled by the invertor like you pointed out.

posted Hide Post
OK, I'm with you. Sounds like a great plan to get rid of that anchor which is big overkill due to it being a Med unit.

I would highly recommend going with the Honda RV unit (either size) as Rusty mentioned earlier. They are designed for your application and you're not paying for lots of added frills in casing and portability, just performance. Honda power equipment is just about as good as it gets. You could probably sell your Onan for close to what you'll pay for the Honda.

A little pricey, but here's a used Onan I saw down here this morning. http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/rvs/2531156267.html

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:

I would highly recommend going with the Honda RV unit (either size) as Rusty mentioned earlier. They are designed for your application and you're not paying for lots of added frills in casing and portability, just performance. Honda power equipment is just about as good as it gets.

The EV6010 is the same as the EV4010 except for a different rotor or stator. Price is almost the same. It will power two AC units instead of one. I will be installing one pretty soon.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a 33' gasser 454 P something as it's called occasionally. Genny is all the way in the rear across the back.

The compartment would make a great trunk. The handling I think, should improve

DING DING!

WE have a winner in this week's Understatement competition.

But, of course, some of that would depend on what was stored in the trunk