Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Door hinge
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Bob G
posted
Anybody have any thoughts on obtaining a new replacement door hinge on the breakaway door? (forward pax entry)
Thanks!

Posts: 9 | Location: NW iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
posted Hide Post
An internet search came up with several different kinds . With a picture or part number , i bet one could be tracked down.

Harold
Cat
Sam is 10 year old Miniature Schnauzer
Currently without a coach

KE5WCW

Posts: 134 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2693 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Pgh. Pirate
posted Hide Post
As an aside, may I suggest that a seasonal application of liquid graphite, aerosol or liquid, to the door's piano hinge goes a long way to reduce wear. Apply, wait, wipe clean. Additionally, there's been discussion inre door closures repairs. One might consider applying pressure (pushing/pulling) inward when pulling on the handle, and only "half" closing except when traveling down the road.

Can you use the existing hinge by removing the fasteners from the door, shim the door high in opening, and then refastening?

'92 Breakaway
Diesel Pusher, Cummins 190hp,
No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 240 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I cut washers to insert into the hinge. This raised the door up. They are still doing the job. I used locking washers as it was easier to cut out enough to slip it over the shaft. Kinda snapped into place.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1029 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
I used nylon washers on mine. I cut a small notch out and they snapped into place. My source was McMaster Carr. After being a sheet metal fabricator most of my life, I decided to make my own hinge. Unfortunately, our turret punch wasn't big enough to handle the size tooling it would take to form the hinge barrels. If enough people would need hinges for the front entry, I would check with my old competitors and see what the cost would be. I drew up a print for the width, I would still have to measure the height but no big deal. But we would need more than one or two in order to make it cost effective.
kenny

Posts: 146 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post