Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LED tail light upgrade
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of J Davis
posted
My KD 460 tail lights have seen their better days. The plastic housings were cracked and the lenses were faded and purple so I decided to replace them with LED lights. I found a Bargman triple LED about 18 inches long (my old lights are about 6"x22"). I couldn't use them because they were recess mounted which meant I would have to cut out a rectangular hole behind them, and there is a structural brace where the old lights were mounted. I ended up buying 4 Bargman red LED tail, stop, and signal lights, and 2 white LED backup lights. I bought a 12"x24" piece of polished diamond plate aluminum 1/8" thick and cut 2 pieces 6"x22"and spaced the lights about 1" apart. Mounted the lights on the aluminum plate with stainless steel screws, wired up the lights, and attached the assembly to the body with 3/16" aluminum pop rivets. Took some pics with the new LED on the left side and the old incandescent light on the right side to compare the difference.

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
very nice job,Jerry..looks sharp.....I thought about switching mine to this type/style also (although vertical in my application..) .. Although would like one 'square' to be amber and the brake light to show red. The amber turn signal would operate independent of the brake/tail light however..

Anyone done that? Any other ideas/examples on rear ( or front) lighting..custom design or using same config as stock..?

here's my setup:

so here's my thought..
top red would be turned to amber turn signal
middle white would be turned to red tail light /always on when headights were on..
bottom red would be brake light which only comes on when brakes are applied..
bottom bumper white would remain as backup light ( one on each side)
all LED of course..

if I could do photoshop, I would color it up.. Smiler

a peanut gallery comment for the post directly below...:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Mike,
My Regency has separate turn signal and brake light. Probably true for a Regency want to be to. ROTFLMAO

.....oooorrrr... maybe for your aspiring Breakaway/XL competitor.. Big Grin

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Mike,
My Regency has separate turn signal and brake light. Probably true for a Regency want to be to. ROTFLMAO

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I used 1157-R2W Red 90 Degree from SuperBrightsLEDs.com. They are many times brighter than the stock incandescent. Note that you'll have to change blinker relay/timers with solid state. In my case, I had to install an 1157 ballast lamp in parallel to get turn and brake lights to work properly.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Rusty, do your brake and turn signals lamps work independently of each other..I.E.: when turn signal on, do both brake/Turn Signal flash..or only turn signal..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All four lights operate together for brake and flasher; two together for turn signal.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If one of the red lens is OK would you sell it?

Posts: 1 | Location: Mathis, Tx | Member Since: 09-05-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Changing to separate brake and turn lighting is possible but will require new circuit from brake switch to rear lights. Wiring to lights is not real accessible. Other than just being different is there a reason you want to change the stock operation. I think a better use of time would be to drive down the coast, pull the awning out, pull out the reclining lawn chair and watch the waves crash into the rocks and beech.

Ed (MWrench) has made up LED front turn signals for his Barth. Even donated a set at the Milford GTG auction.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Houck:
If one of the red lens is OK would you sell it?

Rick put this in the swap meet also. Someone else may have one or two they are willing to part with to a fellow member.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
sure be nice if I had a schematic for my coach.. Confused

M/C-W

Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
Rick, if you can use the old lenses you can have them . Just need to get a mailing address.

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike W,

I finally got around to checking the rear lights. The lights are as I had remembered. Brake lights are different from the flashing turn signal. Just like the Honda that I tow. The Honda has separate signal and brake lights.

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
wow, amazing..That had to be modified from stock..

anyone else have that configuration by chance..?

M/C-W

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I think that was stock. Both my '93 Regency and Tom John's '90 Regency had the same tail lights as Kevin's. Separate Turn signals from the brake lights. I changed the lens on my Turn signals to Amber.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nick. I did not think the two previous owners of my Barth would have changed the turn signal, brake light configuration. Nor did the two previous owners even care how the lights in the back of the coach worked. Your statement proves my thinking to be correct. It really does not matter how the lights operate, as long as the light work properly. The separate brake lights just make it simpler to wire matching my Honda light configuration for towing.