Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Roof Leak Caused by Ladder Mount.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof Leak Caused by Ladder Mount.
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Barth did not do a good job in mounting the ladder ends to my roof. The ladder is fairly flexible. As a result, the forces of using the ladder have induced flexing and cracking of the original sealant. There is evidence of at least two prior episodes of re-caulking up there, so I am not the culprit.

I decided to tie the ladder and the railing together with cut-down stanchions (from another rail or ladder) and a short section of angle, all found in my parts bin. The railing is heavier tubing.

That is all well and good on the inboard side, but the outboard side, owing to the curvature where the ladder and railing meet and almost touch, does not lend itself to such a complex solution. Rather, I just drilled through both of them and used a stainless bolt and washers to tie them together.

So, check your ladders where they mount on the roof and beef it up or apply sealant as needed. It is possible that a good flexible sealant like Eternabond or Liquid Roof/Rubber would seal things well enough, but I prefer to treat the cause rather than the symptom.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
...has anybody used this idea?/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Anything that will shore up the wimpy ladder would be an improvement.

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Just the other day I gave my railing a tug, and that didn't seem particularly sturdy either.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post