Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Instrument panel modification
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
This is what happens when it gets cold and rainy in California.

I was going to do this next spring but got carried away with it in the last days.

Instrument panel when I bought the Breakaway:

Changed the material to aluminum and the layout to included boost, EGT, and trans temp gauges. also changed the location of the light switch

More pictures here:
instrument panel modification

A PDF write up: Write up

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
You wanna talk about cold?!! This is great stuff though. I have every intention of modifying my dash including: relocating the stereo, adding a Generator controll switch, and adding a Tachometer but I feel inclined to wait until I have the cash to do the whole system turn key. They have these great receivers out now that incorporate a Garmin GPS, a back up camera, The stereo receiver, Dolby 7.1 surround, and a mp3 tuner all in one. (I oftin wonder how much crap they can jam into one little box!) Owning this unit would clean up my dash significantly, but I would also like to lower the height of the guages. Right now, i can not see the speedometer needle if I am traveling between 48 and 69 miles an hour....its true! No mater how I tilt the steering wheel, it is always blocked by the steering wheel Mad. The thing is, if I am going to tear the interior apart anyways, I might as well wait. Lets see how my patience holds out.
By the way, the dash was in serious need of cleaning at this point when the previous owner snapped this photo.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kris & Tina Jones:
Right now, i can not see the speedometer needle if I am traveling between 48 and 69 miles an hour....its true! No mater how I tilt the steering wheel, it is always blocked by the steering wheel Mad.

I had the same discussion with Ed last night. If I do get the wheel where I can see the Speedo and Tach I can't see the other guages.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Ed,
New dash looks great. Thanks again for another outstanding write up.
In case it ever gets cold here in Florida, did you capture the dimensions of the panels you created. Although I do not have a breakaway, my 90 Regal dash looks identical.
Ray

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I did keep the original panels after cutting, and do have a template for the panels that I made. All I would need is the height and width of the center panel and I could tell if it is the same. Measure from the bend points for the width.

IIRC the height is 9.5", will double check and post the data.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Hey, the winter gets cold here in AZ also, if you want to travel. Coincidentally there is a Barth that just last night ask me if she could have a dash lift!

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We re trying to get out of here and have to be in LV the 28th, (as it stands now, may change), after that we would like to go to Quartzite but are open, any chance of meeting up around that time?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
quote:
We re trying to get out of here

I relate to that. I have been 'trying' to get to Uma/QZ for 2 weeks, latest ETD is set for Tue wee-hours A.M.

But I have serious doubts that I will be there more than a week or two.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Hi GaryP from Anne and I. How are things with you? We had an excellent time at the baloon festival and it was good to run into you out there. The chance of that happening was remote. We traveled around NM, Texas, and Arizona while we were there. Sure wish I had taken the motorhome to the baloon festivial. We really had a great time and rode in a ballon while there.
Thanks for the meal and such. Hope to run into you again. Take care and happy new year.
Ray and Anne

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Coulda shoulda dropped by Camp Ranch Road while in AZ.

Yes, I was somewhat amazed to be flagged down by you, rather Anne, approaching Durango. You should have brought your Barth, as the West is much more rv-able than the East.

I am about to head for Uma/Qz for a week or two. Gonna meet up with a Datastorm installer to do a bit of wiring to upgrade my TV and to go to the RV show. I am waking from a hibernation that has lasted too long, travel-wise!

I still wonder how you get your Barth to your house! My Jeep had to be in 4WD to get enough traction!