Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Transmission cooler
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted
Last month, I had a new set of tires installed. The old tires looked pretty good, but were old. The rears were dated 1994 and the fronts were from 1997. I had LT235x85x16 Firestone Transforce HT's installed in lieu of the 7.5x16's which were specified on the data tag. Also got a wheel for a spare tire from a local salvage. The trailer tire also needs replacing (the old one was dated 347, 1987...1997?), a goofy little 4.8-8 caster wheel. It was really fun to dismount! Both wheels will need to be cleaned up and painted before mounting new tires, waiting for a warm day for that. I had planned to service the transmission filter and oil, but discovered that this Barth has a separate engine cooler in front of dash air heat exchanger, but has no transmission cooler other than the liquid heat exchanger in the radiator tank. There is not much room for a trans cooler without stacking another one in front of those, so I have ordered a Derale 13900 cooler with its own electric fan to take care of the transmission. That one will be mounted remotely. I guess that I am lucky that none of this stuff blew up on the way home from NE Indiana!
Our first camping trial run will be to Branson, MO next month. We will staying at Compton Ridge Campground then and will report back on our experiance there. I hope that more of you Barthmobilers will choose to join us in September at Branson, since it is a small group that is committed so far.

Steve

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Griffin:
I had planned to service the transmission filter and oil, but discovered that this Barth has a separate engine cooler in front of dash air heat exchanger, but has no transmission cooler other than the liquid heat exchanger in the radiator tank. There is not much room for a trans cooler without stacking another one in front of those, so I have ordered a Derale 13900 cooler with its own electric fan to take care of the transmission. That one will be mounted remotely. I guess that I am lucky that none of this stuff blew up on the way home from NE Indiana!

Without a trans pan temp gauge, it is hard to say.

Steve[/QUOTE]

There is really lots of room up front for extra coolers. I use one B&M 70266 as an engine oil cooler and one B&M 70274 (29,200 BTUs)and two Long Tru Cool 4739 (45,000 BTUs ea) coolers for the tranny.

There is a Perma Cool 19117 High Perf. Electric Fan behind the radiator that kicks in when it senses a high temp in the upper radiator hose.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post