Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gifts for My Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Well, RVs being what they are (constantly needing gifts to reinforce their self-esteem), StaRV II's new generator (Gift #1: Replacing the 3.6KW Kohler Klunker with a 4.0KW gaso-powered Honda EV-4010) was tested today, and so far, so good (I had to "mess with" it a bit before making it ready-to-go). The reasons for this were twofold:

1. The LPG Kohler burned .85 gph @ 1/2 load; the Honda does about .45 @ 1/2 load. With the 24 gal. tank I have to install, the Honda's good for 50 hours; the Kohler, for 30. Plus, there's the issue that if one runs out of propane, everything shuts down; even though StaRV II sports 25 gal. propane (useable), that gets sucked down fairly quickly at the Kohler's prodigious appetite. And, of course, gasoline's much easier to come by than propane.

2. Noise...the Honda without a muffler is quieter than the Kohler with a muffler and resonator. Some of the dry camping I do is at star parties, and excess noise is unwelcome. Because the engine A/C quit on me last summer, I had to run the house A/C over-the road, and the Kohler's noise was awful.

Gift #2: Traveling as I do at all times of year, weather is an issue. While the NWS local broadcasts are useful, while on the road, such clips as "Tornado alerts for Warren and Dave Bowers counties" don't mean much, since I haven't a clue as to where they are. So a satellite dish would be a welcome addition; one was just bought used, featuring in-motion capabilities. I don't intend much use of the in-motion, but it was a new take-off, and cheaper than a stationary one. I do like "cheap"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
About the satelite. Is there a provider that will give a limited use rate? I understand if you have Dish at home, you can get RV service at a very low rate, but I have cable, and I don't want to spend 40 bucks a month or so for a dish sitting in my driveway most of the time.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there's a limited-use rate - my local dealer has receivers (DirecTV) for $50, and the additional subscription is $4.95/mo.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I don't know if there's a limited-use rate - my local dealer has receivers (DirecTV) for $50, and the additional subscription is $4.95/mo.

Hi Rusty,

If the additional subscription is $4.95 per month, does this mean you already have DirecTV to your home? If so, I've been told you can just remove the receiver from the home and plug it into your coach and have service at no extra charge.

This brings up the additional question: is your in-motion dish compatible with DirecTV? I ask because I have been told by Camping World that not all dishes are compatible with each service provider. I have an in-motion dish also but I have to take it in and have them check to see what receiver and service will work. Do any of you know if this is correct? We have cable TV and I'm considering dropping it and switching the home to a dish and using one of the receivers for trips in "The Stagecoach." That will save me from having to pay for duplicate service to the coach (Dish or DirecTV) and home (Comcast) also.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The dish I got is defaulted to DirecTV, which is what I have at home. I'll get the second receiver, because the one at the house has TiVO.

I got an in-motion dish (KVH R5), not because I needed one, but because it was much cheaper than a stationary.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I'll have mine checked to see what it is compatible within about three weeks at the RV dealership unless I can find someone else, such as DirecTV, to do it sooner. We are ready to switch from cable to a dish at home and that will give us an extra receiver to use for trips. I can't tell you what brand our Barth has although I'm sure it won't be a problem getting service we like for home and coach. I have dreaded making the switch to a dish but with cable rates jumping so often, I feel the time is now. It will also drop our monthly expenditures by making the switch at home since a dish is genreally cheaper.

Our "neighbor" at the last RV park we were in had to move, ending up next to us, because they couldn't get reception via their dish on the roof. The problem: trees! With a portable dish, they would have been able to move it to a different location without moving their rig. Just something to consider when trying to figure out which dish or what type to buy. Our Stagecoach already has a in-motion dish on the roof so that is what we will stick with.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Folks, check on the dish network first, dish is making most people make a second acccount for a rv unit. Direct tv will give you a reciever for an rv on the same account.
Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:
Our "neighbor" at the last RV park we were in had to move, ending up next to us, because they couldn't get reception via their dish on the roof. The problem: trees! With a portable dish, they would have been able to move it to a different location without moving their rig. Just something to consider when trying to figure out which dish or what type to buy. Our Stagecoach already has a in-motion dish on the roof so that is what we will stick with.

I would have preferred a portable dish and tripod (the coach is wired for one,and the local dealer is an old customer, and I can get a dish with receivers for $0). However, loaded with astrogear, space in StaRV II is at a premium, and at least the dish on the roof has its own storage.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
In a case like Rusty's, a dish on the roof might be the only way to go. In my case, the dish is already on the roof so I'll stick with it unless I find the reception is too big of an issue and then I might add a portable dish. I've only been into two RV parks so far and 50% of them had a reception issue for rooftop dishes - HA!

On the other hand, I don't want to fall into the trap of enabling myself to spend a bunch of time inside watching TV because I have the dish. Part of RVing is getting away from it all and you do that by not bringing it all with you. With that in mind, one of the considerations is not even get service in the first place. I think this will probably lose because there are days when weather is bad and you're stuck inside anyway. We love movies so a DVD player might handle our needs very nice without the dish so there are arguments for both sides and I'm learning to waffle. Maybe I should be a politician - NOT!

As Rusty said, storage is at a premium so I'm not even sure where a portable dish might fit on a long trip unless we're also pulling a 24' enclosed trailer with our "bare" necessities. Packing is an issue we still have to learn about. We have plenty of time though since most trips will probably stay inside of Colorado until next summer.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The 18" dish will give better reception than a dome when it is raining. On the other hand we have been without service for month do to being to far north in Alaska. I don't even think they sell direct tv up here as the satillite is to far east. Dish is quite popular, but you need a 3' foot dish to get it. And it looks like it is pointing into the ground. I am thinking of buying a 3' dish and tripod mount it. I have the tripod with a spare dish. Proplem is I just don't know where to carry it. I suppose I could attach it to the ladder like folks carry lawn chairs.

As a side note. We downsized andbought this 30' Breakaway for this Alasks trip. It is still the second larges MH I have seen on the ferries. The most popular mode of travel seems to be pu campers. Once we get to the mainland I am sure we will see larger units.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post