Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New sofa
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi,Folks....I'm still working on a 1977 24 foot bustle. Just wondering if anyone has ever changed out there interior. I took out the jack knife sofa and don't realy plan on getting it redone because i would prefer maybe just a regular home style couch. Problem is getting a full size couch in the door. I was thinking about removing one of the windshield halfs but that scares me of fear of breaking it. Maybe one of the side windows would be better? Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks, Tom & Stacey

Posts: 5 | Location: Grove City, Ohio | Member Since: 11-12-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would certainly agree on not disturbing the windshield. II would try either the door or a side window. Can the couch be partially disassembled?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I used a "Modern Style Sofa Sleeper" in my coach. The advantages are...

~ Quite comfortable.
~ Very easy to maneuver.
~ They are relatively cheap.
~ Comes in a variety of colors.
~ Underbed storage space is large.
~ Converts into another sleeping area.
~ Takes a standard queen size bedding sheet set.
~ Disassembly is easy if needed to get it inside your coach.

Here is the one that is in my coach.

Looking over to the left you can see that this is actually blue in color.

They make many different styles.

Here are 2 quick links to get you started on researching. I am not recommending these vendors, but only using them to give you a few ideas. I think I paid around $175.00 for my bed so shop around.

Modern Sofa Sleeper 1 ~ Modern Sofa Sleeper 2

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I've got a wrap around bed set up in my coach (Bill slept on it and said it was pretty comfortable), but I think it's a big space hog. I've been looking at all the possibilities and have found the Flexsteel Flex-O-Bed to be the most interesting. It sits flat against a wall (so cats can't squeeze behind it and when it unfolds), and it has an air mattress that blows up to make a large and comfy bed. The downside is it's around $1000 bucks. There's a nice demo of it on Flexsteel's website.

www.flexsteel.com

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Check on craigslist too, about one month ago I spotted a leather RV couch by Flexsteel (new, they did not like it and removed it) for $250 (Tri-cities TN). Check RV salvage yards. Otherwise IKEA makes furniture that needs assembly (take in piece by piece). How about a futon? Kind of bulky, was too wide for our bus and we replaced it with two captain chairs and a fold out couch bed out of a custom chevy van. Fold the couch into bed to get it thru the door. Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
You bring up a good point for all Doris. Always be sure the furniture you buy can fit in the doorway! My first conversion bus required me to cut open the roof to drop in the salvaged one-piece bathroom I got from a GMC RV. I would think most RV furniture is designed with this in mind, but still smart to verify.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are good ideas. As far as what type. That's gonna be dictated by cost. I would like a sleep sofa but the cost of a good rv sleep sofa gets expensive. Then I was thinking a regular house couch because of all the styles to choose from at a resonable price but, there's the problem of it fitting in the door. Finding something that you can take apart might be the best solution. I'll let you folks know what comes of it. Thanks,for your thoughts...Tom

Posts: 5 | Location: Grove City, Ohio | Member Since: 11-12-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Old topic but curious if any new ideas on what people have replaced their jack knife sofas with? mentioned earlier in this thread where ideas from IKEA and other manufacturers..I have the heater hoses and other assemblies underneath so those items would have to be accommodated..would much rather have an across-coach folding queen if it would fit in that location..Maybe too wide however. I like the IKEA idea as it can be assembled inside rather that attempting to man-handle a sleeper sofa through the door..

Thanks in advance for any ideas, pic's and links appreciated..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Many have stuff underneath the jackknife style. My idea is to buy a piece of 3/4" plywood, take out the entire jackknife, put the plywood in it's place. Buy a piece of memory foam the length and width of where the couch used to be, have it covered in a material to your choosing, buy bolsters for the back, have them covered, and you have a nice day bed/couch for about $500, depending on the choice of fabric.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Looking for a bed that sleeps 2 comfortably, not just a day single bed..maybe they don't exist as additional sleep platform would just be stacked as couldn't be hidden under seating..or, can any of the under sofa ducts and devices be re-located...?

Check this one...ha! http://vurni.com/doc-sofa-bunk-bed/

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Crazyshakespeare13
posted Hide Post
Recently bought a new leather couch and two captains chairs from shop4seats.com A little pricey but well worth it. They have several models to choose from as well.

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming that there was a table and a couple captains chairs across from a sofa in our coach originally. All were replaced with facing benches that cleverly fold out to make a near king-sized bed up front. The PO made the change to my coach, and it looks to be custom, so I can't point you in a direction to buy, but I think it's a great idea if you can find a furniture maker:

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Nice idea, will have to visit you and your coach once I get back out to the Left Coast. We get to the Bay Area regularly..

M/C-W

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to that visit! I have not yet had the opportunity to compare notes in person with another barth owner. Hopefully a left coast GTG will come to fruition soon.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post