Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

fuel mileage
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
A friend of mine wants to put in some kind of contraption in our Barth to give better fuel mileage :he said it increase the mileage all most twice:also I would not have to pay if it did not work.
Collier county has put this item on 128 busses and they said it it would save them $58000.00 this year. It cost $800.00 He has been driving with this contraption for a year with no problems.

We are going on a long trip in the spring.Naples to New Orleans to San Antonio Texas to Fort Worth Texas to Holland Michigan to Elkhart Indiana to Cleveland Ohio to Charleston South Carolina then home.With side trips about 5200 miles fuel cost at $3.00 is approx $1500.00 one half of that would be $750.00 almost pay for itself. what do you think?
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Is it a hydrogen generator?

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
There seems to be all kinds of "miracle" mpg improvers out there. If any of them could double your mileage don't you think it would be all over the news?
Also, city buses or school buses running stop and go around the county are a much different usage than what you have planned for your highway coach.
I wouldn't waste my money, if I were you.
We are here in Anthem Arizona, about a mile north of the Phoenix city line and the two times I bothered to figure mpg on the road here, we managed almost exactly 9 mpUSg both times. That's pulling a 4 door Chev Tracker 2,703 miles from Niagara Falls. BTW, diesel was $2.69 - $2.79 a gal.
I don't keep track of travel costs very closely, I look at it as the "price of doing busness".
Have fun on your trip.
We love our Barth!
Don and Patty

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
We have seen these types of gadgets pop up from time to time particularly when fuel prices appear to be rising or on an upward trend.

Unfortunately, they can mostly all be lumped into the category of "snake oil"! I can assure the most all claims of doubling the mileage, are at best an exaggeration but in reality an out and out lie! In today's "green" conscious world, if any device would show a significant improvement it would be on the front pages of all the media! (and the US government would throw millions of $$$ at it)

In the car world, there has been a proliferation of "hydrogenation" devices which supposedly breaks down water to hydrogen and oxygen and are being sold on Ebay all the time with claims of improved performance and increased fuel economy. (mentioned in the previous post)

Unfortunately, it is not easy to break down water in to H and 02, and takes and incredible amount of energy to do so. It just doesn't work as claimed, but does generate a lot of money from those that are taken in by the claims!

Bottom line is--as was also mentioned--don't waste time or money on these devices, they will not do anything except reduce your wallet's MPD! (miles per dollar)

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
If all it cost was $800 to double your fuel mileage, wouldn't you think that the automakers would just sell them on their cars already?

I know I would buy a new Suburban/Tahoe if I could "Double My Mileage". Just think how quick the automakers could pay off their loans. Roll Eyes

Here is some reading for you on an earlier thread.

Good Use of Taxpayers Money.
I know that sounds odd seeing that I've never seen anyone use that line with a straight face. confusion

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Most of the ways mileage is doubled involves using a mind altering substance prior to doing math.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
went from 10 miles per gallon of diesel to over 50.

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
heeheee

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
There are two kinds of gas mileage....

The gas mileage they tell you they get

and

The real gas mileage!!!!!!!!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Ask the guy that if I installed 2 of the gadgets, would it quadruple my mileage.......

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Can somebody dig up the old story about doing so much to increase milage that he has to stop every once in a while to drain off fuel? It's probably from the 80's but it still holds true today.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this.Checked with collier county they did not put anything on there busses. Thanks guys. This is not a space ship. thanks guys
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
08:48 AM
A friend of mine wants to put in some kind of contraption in our Barth to give better fuel mileage :he said it increase the mileage all most twice:

Who needs enemies?

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
he said it increase the mileage all most twice:
Did he say it like this?

"it increase the mileage all most"

"it increase the mileage all most"

Technically Lenny, he didn't lie. You just misunderstood the stuttering in his speech. I believe he actually said...
quote:
"it increase the mileage almost"
and he probably had his fingers crossed too. hmm

ROTFLMAO hehehe

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny thing my bud must have been taken in.He still insists that WORKS .Now I think he is under a witches spell "he said that if I do not think it works he will put one on for free if I does not get at least 17 miles to the gallon HE will not ask for any money".REMEMBER when we were kids we had rockets that if we put in baking soda and I forget what THE rocket went off? This thing looks like a OLD ford brain hooked up to a container that looks like a 1 gallon square then to a Skippy peanut butter jar with two hoses hooked into them one into the water one in the air. The one water bubbles like you are charging a batterie and the other hose goes into the air filter container.Would this hurt my engine???
I am afraid to let him put it on for free.
lenny
PS he is well off just bought a golf cart for my wife to play with.

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B