Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    early style Monarch tail light LED conversion pt 2
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

early style Monarch tail light LED conversion pt 2
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
After I got the Monarch I replaced most of the lights with LED versions. As with the Regal, the tail lights have sockets mounted from the bottom of the light. They require a bulb which radiates to the sides.

This limits the choice of LED replacements to those with a right angle base. I was able to find such LEDs and I used them in both coaches. (LED conversion pt 1, left)

Though they were better than the OEM bulbs, there were some drawbacks. The LEDs radiate only directly to the rear, a fairly narrow angle. They do not take advantage of the shiny sides, they light up the lens fully only near the center.

Though both the running lights and brake lights were quite bright, the difference was not that great. With the running lights on, the brake lights were not that much brighter.

Because of the socket arrangement, it was not possible to easily move the position of the bulb to optimize the lens.

Recently, I found some other LED tail light replacements which have both axial and radial output, and have a lower power running light with a very obvious, brighter brake light. They are not right angle bulbs, though. (above, right)

https://www.superbrightleds.co...trofit-car/922/2257/

Given the chance to use the better bulbs, I cut holes in the back of the lights. I mounted the new sockets on long threaded screws. This allowed me to adjust the depth of the LED to optimize the lens brightness. The result was very impressive. The lights are brighter and more uniform than before. The brake lights are much brighter than the running lights and are more easily noticed.

I made some dust caps for the inside of the lights out of spray can tops. Also cut some gaskets for the lenses. Ready to install in the coach.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made some dust caps for the inside of the lights out of spray can tops.
Thumbs Up Brilliant Thumbs Up

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Steve
Still a lttle foggy. I thought yours and my taillights were the same? That doesn't ring my bell. I am pretty sure mine have the cammed 90 degree that goes in the middle back. Like the newer headlight bulbs? And Taillight bulbs.

After I thought some more on mine I got the trailer lights working correctly but I bet that wiring is what is keeping my cruise control from turning off with the brake depression. I actually have to turn it off.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dana:
Steve
Still a lttle foggy. I thought yours and my taillights were the same? That doesn't ring my bell. I am pretty sure mine have the cammed 90 degree that goes in the middle back. Like the newer headlight bulbs? And Taillight bulbs.

Actually, I think I have the older style tail lights. Another strange throwback of my late run coach. The other newer coaches like yours have newer lights. The ones on my Monarch are the same as the 86 had! I think it was another case of: Well, we have these lights left... we might as well use them...

Mine are the square lights, three wide, horizontal mounted. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
It had me scratching my head. I couldn't visualize the back of yours.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You have a good point. I will rename this thread, "early Monarch..." hmm

Interestingly, the lights are actually made by Monarch!

I think these are the usual newer style: (95 here)

A 93 with old style but vertical...

another 95:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Just like to point out to Dana and others that the cruise control requires lights that have no resistance when off and very high when on. The cruise control uses the fact that light bulbs have no resistance when off so they use that as a path to ground. When you step on the brakes the resistance is very high and the cruise shuts off.

As a side note I have not found any reason to go to leds except in the patio light. I do very little nite driving in the Barth.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
As a side note I have not found any reason to go to leds except in the patio light. I do very little nite driving in the Barth.

I like to run with my lights on all the time. On the 86 Regal I had 25 small running lights, two front turn signal running lights and 4 tail light bulbs in the back. All together they drew over 11 amps. My light switch ran hot and the flash to pass switch fried from the load.

The total load after LEDs was just over 2 amps... They are brighter too.

As for brake lights, their intermittent use presents a weaker argument. Since the LEDs wink on and off more abruptly, they seem to get attention better. confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
My brake light argument had to do with resistance. Most cruise controls monitor the brake light switch. This provides a path to ground telling the cruise that the brake is not depressed. Pressing the brake applies 12vdc to the the brake lights and this tells cruise the brake has been depressed. If you replace the bulbs with leds you no longer have the path to ground. You can add a relay to give ground at cruise and 12vdc with brake depressed.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You can add a relay to ground, you can install a 100 ohm load resistor along with the the LEDs or you can just wire in a dummy light bulb for the cruise. No big deal.

I just wired a bulb into the brake sense line right at the cruise. It lights up the engine bay when I brake. One socket, an 1156 bulb, 1 foot of wire. No big deal. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp