Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Anvil Sold Out I Guess
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted
I am in the process of planning a roof reseal and I called my local Sherwin and then he had to call Anvil. Well to my surprise, I was told Anvil sold out to Duralast and the Sherwin store told me they no longer sold any products for mobile home or RV roofs. Does that sound right to you guys? If I can't get anvil, what would the next option be? Please no silicone suggestions. Thanks everyone!!

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul & Jamie,

Applying coatings, primers, paints of all types & using all methods has been our business for the past forty one years. Concerning RV roof coating, I think RV Roof Magic(EPDM) rubber may be one of the best. It is not silicone nor acrylic and is definitely not the least expensive, approx. $330.00 for four gallons which we applied to our 30' Breakaway. However with proper prep and application, it cures to a very tough, smooth, brilliant white coating. We recommend you use plenty of ventilation. We used air-supplied respirators as we applied our four gallons indoors.

Good Luck!

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow never heard of this stuff before. 80 dollars a gallon seems pricy to me.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Jamie and Paul, you are correct. Anivil is no longer in the RV roof coatings business. I spoke with a person there who told me the Everionmental Protection Agency was putting undue pressure on them. They will not make recreational vehicle sealants any more.
You can search with any browser and find several good replacements. From reading and sorting through the information I think I am going to use Hengs, when ready to seal my roof. Here is a Tooling Along Link to coatings list Tooling Along to continue your research with.
Please post your choice here. We can follow up in a few years.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kevin.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Anvil does sell the 400 through PPG or Sherwin Williams. It is for Mobile homes aluminum roof. I am waiting on Ron their tech guy to call me back from Anvil in Largo.
I am talking to PPG & to Sherwin Wm's locally to give me prices on 6600 acrylic gallons & 5 gallons, availability etc. 8800 is silicone based, but still getting prices on the same. Sherwin Wms is getting me prices on the Anvil 400 as well. The 400 is acryic. Go to anvilpaint.com to products, roofing & select product to get tech sheets.

Just talked to our local mobile home parts supplier. He has 5 gal bucket of Anvil 6600 in stock. $89.95 5 gal.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
8800 is silicone based, but still getting prices on the same. Sherwin Wms is getting me prices on the Anvil 400 as well. The 400 is acryic.
He has 5 gal bucket of Anvil 6600 in stock. $89.95 5 gal.
Tere

Tere and Jim,
The sales staff told me 8800 is for curved roofs only. The Barth owned by our member Steve VW has a curved roof. I suspect 6600 is also curved roof application. Any Anvil 400 you can get is probably old stock.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The 400 & the 6600 are almost the same. 6600 newer technology. I would look at both the 400 & the 6600 spec sheets & choose one as the anvil elastomeric roof coating solution.

The Anvil 400 is still being produced as Anvil 400 Roof-Tec fibered mobile home & RV elastomeric roof coating.
Maybe the "old stock" Kevin warns about would be the older non "roof-tec" product I used 10 years ago. Which they still have in stock according to their website. anvilpaints.com

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tere and Jim,
Did you find some Anvil 400 for the group?

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Sherwin William's can get it. You just have to press them to find it. The SW warehouse has some in knoxville per person I talked to at SW store. As you stated Kevin "it's probably old stock", however, I don't know if that is the case.

Make phone inquiries in your area. A mobile home supplier is probably your best bet. Wood's Mobile Home Supply in Sweetwater TN has the 6600 89.95 for 5 gal. bucket, which according to Anvil tech person Ron it's the closest new product to the 400 even though on the anvil website the 400 & 450 is available. Up to the individual looking for it to find it in their area. I will go down to the mobile home supply in Sweetwater to get the 6600 when I do my roof.
I stated all(except for Ron the tech guys response)of this in earlier posts above.

correction-
*6600 & 8800 suggests a slope on roof for water runoff
I wonder why? CYA if water penetrates?
The 8800 says 100% elastomeric then it says it's siliconized, go figure. Where is Rusty when I need him?

the 400 &450 is called Roof-Tec 400 though it is made by anvil
read all about this on anvilpaints.com

I may look at the Roof-Tec 1220 too

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
It was the SW store I called in London Ky. They didn't have it and called Anvil to order it and it was Anvil that told them all the details go figure. I will try to be more persistent with my phone calls in the future. I had all be settled on kool seal or dicore for metal roofs. I was 100% sure I wasn't using silicone though.