Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    "Caprice" is ready for her redo.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

"Caprice" is ready for her redo.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We have spent months listening, reading, and learning. Now, our 85 is ready for the spa treatment.

We've found that both Onan's are pretty much kaput, and so are the HVAC's. Not surprising. We will be doing more research about replacements. One question we have is do we need two generators and do we need two HVAC's?

We also are going to add solar for myriad common sense reasons. That means we are going to need a ladder, so that is more research. We really need one anyway to access the roof.

We have about decided to do w/o a television and satellite. We will add internet access, and that will keep us up to date when we need it. We are going to do some reconfiguring of the cabinetry. There is really far too much, and we want to add seating that will make a bed.

We found a bullet hole in the windshield. It passed inspection in Virgina with it, and we haven't had to have it inspected in IL. That replacement is going to cost the earth, so as long as the windshield is happy, so are we.

Posts: 8 | Location: Columbia, IL | Member Since: 09-08-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have a former mobile clinic or bookmobile. 2 generators, probably not, but 2 A/Cs would depend on the size of your coach.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn:

We found a bullet hole in the windshield. It passed inspection in Virgina with it, and we haven't had to have it inspected in IL. That replacement is going to cost the earth, so as long as the windshield is happy, so are we.

Check for GMC Astro cab over winsheilds instead of Barth. This is where Barth got there sheilds from. In the past they were not priced to bad.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Part #s: Driver, DW731, Pax, DW730 (PPG is the supplier)

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information. We are having such fun. We found a mechanic (finally). He has worked on a number of Barths in the past, and is happy to see another one.

This was a commercial coach.

Posts: 8 | Location: Columbia, IL | Member Since: 09-08-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your project. mechanic Post some photos if you get a chance. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is an album of what we have to work with. Her engine and generators are being worked on over the winter. We will be removing one generator, and just using one. Wish Spring would get here so we can get going on all we want to do, and camping as well.

http://s21.photobucket.com/use...um/slideshow/Caprice

I think I have this set so all can see. If not, I am sorry. I just don't understand the instructions.

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Everythings is OK!!

69 PHOTOS!!!

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow! Nice photos. Just when you think you've seen it all.

I am intrigued by several features of your coach. The second door in the rear, the raised roofline, the extra generator, no ladder, and the low price make me think the unit was originally set up for a mobile clinic or other non recreational use, with little interior finishing.

I am wondering if the interior was done over some time after the original purchase. The cabinets and interior appear to be Barth type in style and quality. I have never seen a rear window like yours in any other Barth. It looks like an aftermarket unit. Very interesting!

The coach looks like a great project. You will love the tag axle for ride stability, etc. You will be fine on one generator. One forward AC is good enough most of the time, unless you like deserts at noon! Good luck and keep us posted. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. We are off to the St. Louis RV show to look at some HVAC units and some other things. Not buying, just looking.

We are wondering about the wood over the driver and passenger area. It looks like a retrofit that was done because of that leak.

The two doors are interesting. We aren't quite sure what it was, but we know from here that it is a commercial build that was then retrofitted. I will try to track down the original owner when I have some time.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The stories these things could tell! Good luck with your history project. I bought my coach from my inlaws, supposedly there were 2 previous owners but we have no names. I would love to know more history, too. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp