Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Install an Inteli Power 9160 or stay with the old stuff?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Install an Inteli Power 9160 or stay with the old stuff?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted
Hello, I have a Inteli Power 9160A that I picked up for fee. My Barth has two Progressive Dynamics PD712 50AMP converters that look to be connected in series. These work fine so I am wondering if I should just leave well enough alone or is the modern converter that much better? Am I correct that these two in series produce 100 amp? Will the new 60 amp be enough? I know the old units use one leg to charge the battery and the second leg to power the coach, do you just wire both legs together with the new charger? Any advice would be appreciated.
Neil

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The 9160A has the Charge Wizard as an option. It's hardwired into the 9200 series.

If you get a 9160, I have a Charge Wizard for it that you can have for postage (~$4). This is an excellent device to maintain batteries.

The older converters SHOULD NOT be wired in series. They are obviously wired separately (since all the coach 12VDC wiring isn't fried, nor are the batteries), probably one to the coach, the other to the batteries.

The older converters usually don't have a facility to maintain a battery - they can overcharge.

And with a single-output (such as the Intelli-Powers), the coach input and battery inputs have to be tied together.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
If I do install the 9060 I will need a Charge Wizard. I will take you up on your offer.

My Barth has 2 PD712 Convertors that are difinatly wire togeather on some way. One has red and white wires (POS & NEG?)coming out of it that lead right into the other unit. In the second unit the red and white wires are tied to the wires of the same color, it has three wires (red, wight, green) that come out of it and disappear in to the barth wall. Both unit have many black ground wires mounted to a lug on the housing. The second unit has a added label that says "Battery charger". Like I said they work fine and look to have been that way for the 32 years the coach has been around, But I have no way of knowing. I will do some testing to try and see how they work.
After rereading my post maybe I should have said "parallel" instaed of "Series".
Thanks.

Neil.
I found the PDF of the owners manual.pdf

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The 9160A has the Charge Wizard as an option. It's hardwired into the 9200 series.

If you get a 9160, I have a Charge Wizard for it that you can have for postage (~$4). This is an excellent device to maintain batteries.

The older converters SHOULD NOT be wired in series. They are obviously wired separately (since all the coach 12VDC wiring isn't fried, nor are the batteries), probably one to the coach, the other to the batteries.

The older converters usually don't have a facility to maintain a battery - they can overcharge.

And with a single-output (such as the Intelli-Powers), the coach input and battery inputs have to be tied together.

Rusty:

I am in the process of installing the 9160 and plan on posting pictures when done. I will need the Charge Wizard if you still have it. Send me your address and I will send a check out. I plan on donating what it would cost me to buy one to the cause (BARTHMOBILE).

Thanks, Neil.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"