Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Tail Lights 1987 direct replacements
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tail Lights 1987 direct replacements
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Tail lights Direct Replacement j

Posts: 1 | Location: Kentucky  | Member Since: 05-24-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Try Here

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If you replace with leds, your cruise control will probably stop working.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If you buy the led replacement bulbs from superbrrightleds.com they have the necessary resistor to add to the circuit so the system will function properly. Much brighter and negligible losses make them the best option.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
If you replace with leds, your cruise control will probably stop working.

If that happens you can easily modify your installation. Many cruise controls look for a resistive ground (through a light filament) to allow the system to set. When that 0v grounded bulb wire gets 12v from the brake circuit, the cruise kicks out.

LEDs are diodes, not filaments, so they do not provide the bleed to ground while resting, so the system will not set. A simple fix: just wire in a dummy 12v bulb. One is enough, tied to any brake light wire. (It does not need to be a full taillight, just one filament tied to the brake wire.) Just a simple socket and a bulb. I have one mounted right next to the cruise box in the engine compartment. It flashes whenever I hit the brakes. The cruise works normally. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth_Vader
posted Hide Post
When fixing some wiring issues with my 85, we noticed that the side marker lights on the back have a hot from the running lights and a hot from the turn signal (no ground). They work fine but only with an incandescent bulb (I guess it grounds back through the wire that's not hot...1985 technology...). I like the led rear lights but they will not function properly with the LEDs. I guess 2 separate LEDs could be wired in to account for the dual function the current bulbs serve.

Posts: 48 | Location: austin tx | Member Since: 07-15-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
To convert is your call. My call is I will never get enough hours of use to justify the expense. I did change the headlights to leds for more light.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I was going to convert our last coach to led tail lights . After thinking about it for a while I decided that I really didn't need them . Since we pull a car hauler , you couldn't see them anyway . The car hauler already had nice led lights . That's not to say I won't put them on our next coach though Big Grin

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
in as much as the Barth OEM lenses were inclined to fade, I put red LED bulb replacements behind them... dramatic improvement for nominal expense.
As others have said, the LED's are more sensible as interior lighting, which, unlike exterior lighting, usually runs from battery rather than alternator.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post