Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Full Awnings
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
My little brother suggests replacing the awnings on the curb side with a full size extendable one. Other than liking the "eyelid" type and wanting to keep it original I am trying to find a reasonabe answer that I can blame on someone else. Failing that I will just say "because". Any suggestions?
Thanks
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Pro's of the big patio style awnings. They provide a lot of shade and you can still be out side in some rain storms. Con's, They are about a 10-12 step process to put up or down. If not the automatic type ($$$$$) and a gust of wind come up they can do a lot of damage ($$$$$) very quickly.

If the wind comes up they are a lot harder to take down. I talked to a rv park owner one time about them and he said that about 95% of the injuries in the park were because of the awning. Broken fingers, hands, head injuries etc. The other 5% were usually falls. I got rid of the patio awning on our bus and don't miss it a bit. Improved my vision in the right side mirror as a result. Smiler If it is hot out we just move from on side of the bus to the other as it gets shady if we want to be outside. So go ahead and blame it on me! Big Grin And if you decide to get one anyway what kind is the window awning that you have now? and how long? I may be interested in buying it.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are a man after my own heart! I have the ones on my picture - black and silver stripes over each window set. The are encased in an aluminum rollup shield and they shade the windows perfectly. When I am parked and want to spend more time outside I use an Ez Up tent (10x 10) and set up the barbeque. Just as many people comment about the awnings as they do the Barth.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I'm totally on the other side of the road on this. Our 18' A&E awning sets up in under a minute, and I can't imagine being anywhere without it. It provides shade, rain protection, keeps the area outside the door clean and dry, and the screen room gives us a whole extra living area. [That takes about 5 minutes to set up]. Furling the awning back up takes maybe 20 seconds in a hurry, and I roll it up at the first sign of wind, although it has gone through some pretty strong gusts with no damage. Just my opinion.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that damages to, and from, awnings made up the majority of insurance claims on rv's.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With that said, each to his/her own preference. Big Grin What works best for one is not necessarily the best for someone else.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I've had coaches with and without. In summary I will not have them without again. This means window awnings, plus a patio awning.

I saw one coach equiped with both window and patio awning on the curb side. Could use either one.

As a legal side note to those with 102" coaches. With the awnings you are illegal in all states except Missouri and Wyoming. Only mirrors can extend beyound the 102" limit. That being said I know of no known occurances of anyone being ticketed for this.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all - I had not considered it would extend over the door because I have a front door and there is little clearance. On my old SOB the door did not extend as high and they had a little roller wheel set that pushed the awning up so it would not rip. On the Regency there is about 6 inches between the top of the door and the curve between the roof and side. I was only considering the area behind the door to about the back of the wheel well. If I had a mid door I would agree with Danny.
Tom

FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I'm with Danny. A coach without an awning seems incomplete. We even put an over the door OVD awning on ours and that has been a blessing in keeping the steps dry and me dry when unlocking. Our OVD awning has a wind sensor that will retract it in high winds. These can be had for the high end full side electric awnings too.

Awnings let you have a picnic when the weather is iffy, keep you from frying in the sun, birds don't poop on you unless extremely talented, leaves don't accumulate in your porridge pot, no pine needles in your beer. Awnings add space, color and texture to your camping experience.

Awnings don't last forever, they are sacrificial. They give up their life for your added pleasure. Honor thy awning, it is like your faithful hound and will gladly give it's meager life for so little. Give an awning a hug, it loves you very much!! Wink

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
OMG ! No Awning???

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.