Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Hanging a hammock from ceiling studs?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hanging a hammock from ceiling studs?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of LandShark
posted
Does anyone have any input into how best to install and hang anchors into the ceiling studs? I'd like to hang a hammock. I'm assuming a single stud will not hold the weight of a person so I probably will need to carry the weight across multiple ceiling studs. What would you recommend for hardware and design?

1984 Barth 22' Glassnose
P30 chassis / 454 engine

Victoria, BC, Canada

Posts: 9 | Location: Victoria, BC, Canada | Member Since: 05-27-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
The roof structure is plenty strong enough to support the weight. If you have any doubt get up on the roof and jump up and down on the roof cross members.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
It would also depend on the size of the person(s) using the hammock also. I like Doorman's test, but then again the ladder to the roof my be only rated at 200 pounds or so.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
You need to google "the difference between "compression" and "tension"". The fact that one can jump on a roof truss is not the same as pulling a fastener through an 18 gauge aluminum U channel. As an example, the pull down bed in the Euro is attached to blocks of wood squeezed into the space between the trusses to spread the loads. In order to work you would need to transfer the load to the top of the truss, placing the anchor in compression rather then pulling down on the bottom placing it in tension.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post