Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Help with rivets and trim
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted
Hey guys, I brought the Barth to the body shop today to repair my latest whiskey-blister. I am experiencing difficulty locating the 2" wide extruded aluminum trim with the 1/2" screw cover that runs down the exterior wall to trim out the upper and lower wall panels. The rivets on the rear cap appear to be closed-in rivets which no one around here stocks either. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 373 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Billy,

The original rivets are often machine applied with a device that hammers the single rivet until it peens over on the inside. This is naturally hard to duplicate on a repair. The solution is a "closed head or shave head" rivet which can be purchased on-line and applied with a conventional rivet gun. Essentially, it is a rivet that pulls through the front like a conventional rivet, but leaves a small stub. A shaver is used to grind the stub to mach the contour of the pre-formed rivet head. The result is a rivet that looks like a one piece machine applied rivet and it is waterproof.

I bought some that are gasket-ed on the application side to insure no leaks.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Thanx Corey,
Found some in my Grainger Book. Now to find the dang extrusion...

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

billynhelen@me.com
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 373 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Crazyshakespeare13
posted Hide Post
I was curious if you ever found a supplier for the metal trim and plastic screw cover?

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Hey Shakespeare, Do you mean this molding here. If so I will try this week to get some for you. What would you like? If not please let me know. Sorry to get you excited if this is the wrong molding.

Cheers anyway

Kevin

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Crazyshakespeare13
posted Hide Post
That's the stuff Kevin....do you have the both the black screw cover and the molding and if so what's the price? Also you wouldn't happen to know where to get the trim that make up the bustle as well.

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found this extruded aluminum today.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
I just lost a small piece of the aluminum trim on my Lake trip. It is the piece between the front passenger window and the windshield. Do any of those listed match what we have? I have nowhere to see the profile. When I say small I mean small like 3 inches. The one rivet holding it popped and it is gone.

My 72 is different trim.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1380 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The company is Yellow Dog Extrusion. Located in good old Elkhart, Indiana. You can call them if you like. (I am not sure why the link I posted does not work for you Dana.)

Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
Link works for me. I guess my question wasn't clear. With all your experience which of the aluminum pieces listed match ours? You have the same moulding/extruded aluminum as I do.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1380 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RV-71 is as close as you will get from Yellow Dog. hmm There may be other extruding companies. hmm Problem here is it comes in 16 foot lengths.
Click Try calling them and ask for a 6 inch sample. Click You will get what you need to cover the one you lost. Even if there is a difference it may not be noticeable. You can see how close the match is for the rest of our members.

Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I like that thought. I will give it a shot. Stay tuned. Could be good for all of us. Ya I saw the 16 ft. Yikes just to ship. Thumbs Up

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
None of the Yellowdog extrusions would work for me. The bottom edge of the Sovereign's belt rail is half of the compartment-door hinge. It is the aluminum "filler" for lack of the correct term that covers the attachment rivets is what I was searching for. Fortunately for me the body man was able to flatten it out for reinstallation. I do need to remove the filler again because the rivets above one of the compartment doors have sheared and need to be replaced. head bang

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

billynhelen@me.com