Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Radiator repair
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I had a leak, a very tiny leak, in the upper left corner of the radiator. I could not wait for a new one from Spartan so I had mine recored, they used a high flow core with wider tubes, still a five core radiator but with staggered tubes.

To get the radiator out--well it was a real PITA! After draining, the fan had to be removed, the shroud unbolted from the radiator assembly, the radiator separated from the trans cooler and turbo intercooler (it was RTV'd together as an assembly) then the trans cooler and intercooler had to be supported while the lower radiator support frame (it is bolted to the frame rails) was lowered to allow the radiator to be tipped back and rotated slightly to be removed thru the SMALL rear radiator opening! In order to lower the radiator support, two stiffening pieces for the bumper had to be cut off, These were added by Barth and interfered with the repair process. Going slowly this took about 8 hours!!! This is what the interior of the radiator looked like after they removed the side tanks.

I cleaned rust off most of the areas that I could get to while the radiator was being repaired and repainted with rust protector. I also repositioned the aircleaner as it was located down in the middle of the side opening and wasn't attached well to the side wall. I made brackets that attached the air cleaner to the top of the opening and positioned the air cleaner as high up and forward as I could but still get the element out.

This really opened up the space and allows better access to the chassis batteries and I could even store the jumper cables on the back wall.

When I removed the bumper, which was necessary to allow access to that stiffener that had to be cut out, I found that they had used 7/16 bumper bolts and the bumper has square openings for 1/2 inch bumper bolts, there were also spacers made out of thin pipe for the side bumper bolts that were badly distorted. Made new spacers out of 1 inch aluminum stock and then made new bolt in stiffeners out of 1/4 inch plate that not only attached to the radiator subframe but attached to the bumper brackets at the bumper bolt locations.

What the bumper mount looks like without the stiffener.

With the stiffener added.

Assembly of the radiator back to the trans cooler and intercooler was also a pain, extreme care, the bolts are very short to prevent going thru the radiator rails and into the core, I found that with the new core, some of the bolts had to be shortened, if not, I would have had a BIG problem. I measured each hole depth and matched a bolt length to that location.

Interesting facts:
Draining the coolant out for the repair, I got 4 1/2 gallons out, after re-assemble I replaced the coolant and it took over 6 gallons, Hmmmm, Radiator repair people said the old core was over 50% blocked. Even with this reduced efficiency, in 100 degree ambient I never went over 210 degrees water temp!

Replaced the thermostat with a Cummins part, What came out looked like a high flow race thermostat, the Cummins part looked VERY small for the job. Initial tests indicated that I need to change out the thermostat with a revised part, or go back to the one I took out, I am getting fluctuations in temperature readings which has been reported by other Cummins users and a upgrade replacement is available. will change it out and report back.

Cost to re-core and all necessary bits and pieces: $1350.00 OUCH! price of copper ?

Back to work on the cruise control!!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
price of copper ?

...About $3.03/lb today for scrap....I guess that's why we read about folks gettin' fried climbing poles at 3am Frowner

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's a lot of money for a recore.

I have always gotten the impression from other MH owners that diesel parts had a surcharge added just because they were diesel. Perhaps it is just because there is a smaller market, but my MH friends howl whenever they have to pay for maintenance.

As much as I wanted a diesel Barth, one of the attractions of a P30 is easy and economical maintenance and repair. My new engine cost less than one owners yearly service. Frowner I popped a nitroglycerine and had to sit down just to read the bill.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
quote:
price of copper ?

...About $3.03/lb today for scrap....I guess that's why we read about folks gettin' fried climbing poles at 3am Frowner

The big deal out here at 3 AM is to steal catalytic convertors with a battery-operated Sawzall.

I am thinking of rigging up a vibration sensor and wireless transmitter for my vehicles. Or getting a pit bull from the pound and putting his bed underneath the most tempting vehicle.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Wow! That's a lot of money for a recore.

I agree, I could have gotten a new one for $1200 from Spartan plus shipping, and it is the older design with the smaller tubes. I did check around and could have gotten it done cheaper in the Central Valley but then it would have cost either shipping or my time to drive to and from twice.

My SOB P30 radiator cost $500 to recore some 4 years ago. It was a smaller radiator and had less miles on then this one. (P30 <70K miles, Barth >95K miles)

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I have always gotten the impression from other MH owners that diesel parts had a surcharge added just because they were diesel. Perhaps it is just because there is a smaller market, but my MH friends howl whenever they have to pay for maintenance.
Imagine what this would have cost if your labor was included? Wow!

I agree with Bill H, that sounds kind of steep! I haven't priced out an RV radiator in quite some time. Maybe, that's what the're going for now... Ouch!!!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post