Tools
Reply To This Topic

New seats
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Was thinking about new seats for the '85 Regal. While riding around in my son-in-law's Silverado, I thought his were nice not only because of the 6-way power seats but also because the 3-way seat belt comes out of the seat back and you don't have to worry about finding a place to anchor the shoulder part of the assembly. Anyone use this type of seat in their Barth?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
My immediate concern would be the ease or difficulty of mating typical automotive seats to an RV seat pedestal base.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Was thinking about new seats for the '85 Regal. While riding around in my son-in-law's Silverado, I thought his were nice not only because of the 6-way power seats but also because the 3-way seat belt comes out of the seat back and you don't have to worry about finding a place to anchor the shoulder part of the assembly.

I would be concerned with the shoulder harness forces and leverage involved. Mounting the auto seat on the pedestal would not be too hard, but I would worry about how well the pedestal attachment to the floor and structure would stand up to shoulder harness forces in a collision. They are usually installed with seat belts attached to the floor, so are probably not built for even seat belt forces. It might be simpler to attach the shoulder harness to the body structure behind the side window.

Another thought is to make a very sturdy, non-swivel pedestal. A strong box structure could pick up really sturdy attach points underneath. But, that leaves the issue of fore and aft movement, which I presume would require tracks. They might not be sufficiently strong for the forces involved. We have never swiveled our front seats.

quote:
Anyone use this type of seat in their Barth?
Jim

Several have. A search should show them.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post