Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Barth Regency Compartment Modification for Spare Tire
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Regency Compartment Modification for Spare Tire
 Login now/Join our community

posted
On previous thread to this one, I suggested that maybe a compartment in my 1990 34 Regency might be modified to accommodate a spare. This morning I crawled under the Barth and looked closely. The large compartment on the right side extends down 7"below the frame bottom and there is a 3' section between the propane tank and one of the air tanks where the compartment can be extended in. It will require dropping the floor of the compartment 2" in the area where the spare will sit and extend in 16". I am quite sure that a bare tire will go in. Will require closer measurements next spring whether a whole spare assembly will go in. Will update this thread as things progress.

Clint

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kevin:

My Barth has a front mounted rad- you can't block the forward grille area. I also have a 7kw diesel gen located under the forward floor to the rear of the rad. Access is via an inside panel between the front seats. The generator shares the rad grille air flow.

Clint

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The front radiator allows a rear-mounted spare. This will be more complicated than it appears, due to the weight of a 22.5" wheel and tire. A mount supported by the hitch receiver could easily handle the weight.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morgan:

Thanks for the heads up on the receiver hitch option. If the compartment mod option doesn't work out, I will be going with the hitch. Mine will be a special since I need a drop of 5" to get the Blue Ox tow bar to be straight with the toad.

Clint

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Clint, the JF Products thing seems awfully expensive to me. Your topic has been discussed in a few other RV forums. In them, I found suggestions to have a local welder put together something to carry a spare. Material and fabrication might be close to half the price of the one I linked (on which shipping would be considerable).
Regardless, I think the offset, if you need one, would go behind the spare carrier. Then you'd put your tow bar head into the offset.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morgan:

Your observation is noted. Crawled under the Barth again yesterday afternoon and did more measurements on the compartment mod option. I am now very sure that it will work. This is the least expensive way for me to go as I am blessed in having a fairly complete metal fab shop, the result of building and working on street rods my whole adult life. I can, of course, make up the receiver option as well.

I really want the option of not destroying the classic beauty of the Barth but still carry a spare tire.

Clint

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clint Webb:
Morgan:

Your observation is noted. Crawled under the Barth again yesterday afternoon and did more measurements on the compartment mod option. I am now very sure that it will work. This is the least expensive way for me to go as I am blessed in having a fairly complete metal fab shop, the result of building and working on street rods my whole adult life. I can, of course, make up the receiver option as well.hello fellow Barthers I am getting my kohler rebuilt for 1500dollars.If it doesn't workout I am going to twin to2000honda or Yamaha invertors,installing them where my central ac was,probably with a fan with thermostat for ambient air.If the kohler doesn't work out I will remove it and --mount a spare tire-- in its place if possible.wally 34ft monarch.Things arn"t that bad the outfit that condemned my gen wanted to service my 8.3 can you imagine?i wonder if they would of taken it apart without my permission.Actually you can get old and still be lucky and stupid!

I really want the option of not destroying the classic beauty of the Barth but still carry a spare tire.

Clint

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post