Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Foggy Window Fix
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted
Is anyone familiar with this process of defogging double pane windows?

http://foggeddoublepanewindow.com/

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Carl,

If you look at the physics of the problem, I doubt that there is some miracle solution that is acceptable. Obviously when a seal on a thermopane window leaks, it allows the once sealed and moisture-free cavity to "breath". This introduces contaminants, especially moisture. The moisture enters as vapor, but condenses to water droplets which are trapped in the cavity. Eventually other contaminants such as dust, mold and bugs may find their way in too.

The miracle solution probably has something to do with drilling bigger holes in the already defective seal and drying the interior. We could do that ourselves with a drill and a vacuum I think. Notice how the ad makes all sorts of claims, but never says HOW it is done!!

Another solution with some problem scenarios is to remove one pane, turning it into a single pane glass. Then there is no cavity to contain moisture. I did this once with an expensive french door glass.

A final solution would be to drill holes, dry the cavity, pull a vacuum, and reseal with vacuum intact(alternatively you could inject a different inert gas like Argon). Theoretically possible, but practically silly as you might as well buy a new thermopane glass section.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
I was a little skeptical myself which is why I asked. You gave a great description of the problem and possible solutions which sounds very much like the solution this vendor sells for around $32.

Thanks, Corey.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I don't think a vacuum is a good idea unless you are ready to see your window implode. I saw an employee try to clean particles of dust out from between panes of an eight foot display case thermopane window by vacuum, a very expensive mistake.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
Notice how the ad makes all sorts of claims, but never says HOW it is done!!

I believe this statement could apply to hundreds of thousands of internet "magic bullet" ads. Think of any problem you've ever had, no matter how obscure or what it pertains to. Google it and you will find that someone has figured out the cure, and will sell it to you so you can fix it yourself. Oddly, the price is always an amount that is somewhat substancial, but just not enough to make a real stink about when you find out that it doesn't work.
This guy may have something real, but if so it would really surprise me!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From the website (emphases added):

"Our 14 page Copyrighted process description includes easy to follow step-by-step illustrated instructions about building your system, materials lists including parts numbers, where to purchase suggestions, cautions, tips and on-going assistance via email. What you will be creating is an inexpensive and easy to use portable "inner-space" residue removal and moisture maintenance system. This process will not provide a permanent fix for the majority of users."

One wouldn't get a ready-to-use kit, but a few pieces of tubing and the instructions on how to build what's needed.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Steve Martin's book "How To Make A Million Dollars and Be a Success" ... first you get a million dollars, then....

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
While returning from the Florida GTG, We saw a billboard for this company. Looks Promising.

Click Here to Rebuild Foggy Windows

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.