Tools
Reply To This Topic

5/8 - 18 Chrome Acorn lug nuts
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
I have never liked the OEM lug nuts on my Barth. They are plain steel with chrome covers. Water gets behind the cover and the nut gets rusty. I have been looking for affordable replacements for some time. (I have 40 lug nuts on my coach)

The 5/8 thread size is no longer common. The stock nuts are 1" wrench size, most replacements are 13/16 or 7/8, with cheap chrome. The OEM nuts are 45 degree taper, several replacements were 60 degree.

I found some 5/8 - 18 "Chrome Dualie Acorn Nuts" at the EZAccessory site.
1" wrench size, 45 degree taper. Great sale price at $2.29 each.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Dup..._Lug_Nuts_p/3130.htm

We'll have to see how the chrome holds up. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Good find, I will need to check it they fit my 77 P30. If they do I will get some. Do they give any indication of the manufacturer?

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
No indication of manufacturer or country of origin. Stamped 5/8-18. Probably not USA unfortunately.

Check your lug size. Some have 5/8 some have 9/16. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Finally installed these things… 40 lug nuts, remove, replace, retorque 180 lb/ft confusion

Looks a lot better. Note the photo date stamp. We'll see how they hold up to our gentle Michigan climate. ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Follow up on these lug nuts:

I removed the wheels recently for balancing. Noticed some chrome peeling already, especially on the tapered seat area where they contact the wheel. Some of the chrome has flaked off already and some came off the internal threads as I removed them. Some were stubborn to replace.

To prevent damage to the lug threads I used a 5/8-18 tap to chase out the threads in the lug nuts. The remaining chrome on the threads came out with the tap. I used a grinder to remove the chrome on the tapered seat area. Then the nuts went back on smoothly and torqued down evenly.

Good news: price was low, the tall nuts fit in the deep socket well so they won't slip, and the closed end keeps dirt and water out of the threads.

Bad news: chrome quality is low, may cause problems in the thread and seat area.

The price is hard to beat but I would recommend using a tap to chase the threads before use, also clean off the chrome on the tapered seat area. After that they go on and off easily.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp