Tools
Reply To This Topic

Unique Flooring Idea
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Check out this penny floor in a kitchen. Wonder how it would hold up in a coach? Go to the link and scroll down just a little.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/homesteading

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Probably pretty well. I have done this sytem on bar tops a dozen times and even mercury dimes in a bar in the "Corktown" area of Detroit. I would not recommend applying on 1/2" ply but with 3/4" I have never had a problem. You would need sand the wood completely, seal the wood with a thixotropic epoxy, prime the floor with a solid color, let it dry, apply the pennies or whatever else you want, and then pour a minimum of 40 mils of a very high quality epoxy over the top to cover the reveal of the pennies. There are a few more steps, but this covers all of the main jobs. It would take 2 days after prepped and would not be terribly expensive unless you hired it out.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
LUV it!....Not to mention it increases the selling value of the Barth!
Here's some other pics: http://mandolinmosaics.com/installations.php

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't work worth a dime.....

Ha!

Could raise the re-sale value....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Actually, just this week, I had been thinking of this very thing in a small bathroom.

We are restoring a 1904 Victorian home. Out in the barn, we found a box of receipts from the previous homeowner had from the 1940's. He was a surveyor and they were his business receipts for gas, oil, tires, car parts, billings, hardware items etc...all from old. local, longtime businesses. I was going to photocopy these and wallpaper the walls with them and then the idea of using wheat pennies and the occasional dime or quarter was an idea I had been thinking on...

I think it would be great!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
If anyone gets serious about doing this, here's a good D-I-Y link:

http://makeprojects.com/Projec...enny-Countertop/85/1

Pretty sure my counter is gonna be a winter project, IF I can save-up that much money....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Lee Sell the gas pump on Ebay. Smiler

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Gas Pump? Lee, you have an old gas pump you might be willing to part with??? I keep looking for the right deal. Got lot's of pennies....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, I've already painted the old fuel pump flat black and mounted the mailbox on top of it......

Gotta save up for my penny countertop......1728 pennies to cover 6 sq ft, automatically adding $17.28 to my Barth's ultimate value.....('Course, if I were Bruce, I'd be doing it with silver dollars....)

Best I can figure, my leaking fuel pump left about 8 gallons on the Ohio Turnpike enroute to Goshen....(Little does Ohio know that they had a 60mph EPA SuperFund site rolling across their state).....Add $30 for lost fuel to a new $24 fuel pump and once again I'm a pauper Frowner

Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
What a cool floor!! Sure would take some serious time and dedication.
We are in the process of putting new flooring in the Barth right now (new post with pics to follow soon)

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post