Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

awning protecter
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
WE are getting ready for our trip in the spring.Trying to get everything we can think of lubed and protected from air water and sun.Has anybody used anything to protect their awnings? we bought 303 for the tires which we use but now we would like to try 303 for vinyl rubber,plastic,leather, and other stuff. I do not know if it hurt our awning looks like striped canvas. lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
never tried 303 but just an observation,.. when I bought the toneau cover for my pick up, I asked the salesman/owner how to properly maintain it. He said to clean the cover with Murphy's oil soap and rinse....and not to ever do anything else. He said a lot of poeple would prematurely dry their covers out by going thru car washes that sprayed way on them and they would fail in a year or two. I know we are not exctly comparing apples to apples here but the amount of time the awning is exposed to uv may be the lesser of two evils compared to possible premature dry out. I would try to call the awning manufacture to be safe as those things can get expensive.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Most Barths came with Zip-Dee awnings with striped fabric, probably acrylic. Odds are that's what you have.

Mine came with only a patio awning, & I bought new awnings for all the windows. They came with maintenance instructions, & a kit with some kind of soap to wash them. As I recall, they only advised that the fabric be kept clean, & free of mildew, dirt, leaves, etc.

Like Kris & Tina, I'm inclined to believe that UV exposure is a smaller concern than dirt & mildew. Most of the time your awning is going to live under that pretty aluminum cover.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
thanks everybody I will use it on the dash,still waiting to buy new seats, maybe in Elkhart.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I use Star Brite Awning cleaner. A squirt in a bucket of water and a long handled soft brush gets all the Dega grime off in no time. Don't know if it has any preservative qualities but I believe any fabric lasts longer when it's clean.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
i could of used some awning protector my self on mar 6th at app. 830 at night i proceeded to remove my awning at falls creek falls state park..trees are close there 19000 acres of park .....and falls waterfalls all over the place very beautiful! Have since reinstalled the awning!Went to cumberland caverns on monday recomend the use of a car 40 ft and a jeep ! barely enough space to turn around !! took the field . glad it wasnt raining .

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post