Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Cherry wood interior???
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cherry wood interior???
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
I have a cherry wood interior but it seems too dark to me
and am thinking of how to brighten it up somehow---any ideas??

Or should I just live with it??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cherry, mahogany, and other dark woods are virtually impossible to lighten. However, if it's actually oak, birch, poplar or another light wood stained cherry, then - with major effort - possible to strip, bleach, and refinish.

That would be a major effort, and not worth it IMHO. I'd suggest overlays of mirrors or a lighter material like a wood veneer or contact paper.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I just redid the cabinets in our Barth. I made all new panel doors to replace the original solid doors. The old doors were solid but not solid wood. The rest of the cabinets, carcases and faces were either solid wood or heavily veneered plywood. I will attest to the fact that it is very difficult to remove the original finish. We used a water-based stripper from Ace Hardware and scraper. That we followed up with sanding using a vibrating sander. To do the underside of the cabinets we ended up using scaffolding and cushions as well as cabinet tops. Refinishing the Birch was not easy since it tends to blotch. I had to pre-treat with shellac (wax-free) diluted with denatured alcohol. I then applied two coats of stain and three coats of polyurethane semi-gloss. It was indeed a great deal of effort but well worth it. The veneered plywood can be sanded but be careful it will sand through and that spot will stand out.

If the finish on your cabinets are like ours was then stripping and applying clear finish may lighten it up. The finish on our cabinets had darkened a great deal since new.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
My cabinets are oak but they have a whitewash type of paint on the surface. It isn't a stain. I have not been able to match this color exactly It is very nice and very light! Really opens up the small space of the 30'

The oak flooring has the same type of whitewash on it but I will re-do later this year and just return to natural oak finish with a hard durable urethane finish. I did this to the dining table and like the color and contrast.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post